the endless plains of the Serengeti


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
June 6th 2007
Published: June 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Emily and I left Saturday for the Serengeti, it's 400 km from arusha but took about 7 hours to drive there because the roads are pretty crazy. you drive up the crater, around the rim and then down the other side. the road is only paved half way there, then it's rough riding. we stayed at the Sopa lodge our first night, complete luxury from our little bunk beds rooms at the CCS house. we each had a double bed with a huge mosquito net curtain surrounding both beds, no more getting tangled in a net at night!

Our first day of game driving was wicked! We saw lots of lions and unlike the the lazy lions in the Crater these lions were busy stalking prey! It was so neat to watch them attempt to hunt, although they weren't successful. We also saw a mama lion get 2 babie cubs down from their lair high up in a rocky cliff (just like pride rock!). the babies followed the mom down into the grasslands. they walked right by our truck,a little freaky. the babies were so cute!!

we spent lunch on day 2 eating beside a family of elephants. there were 3 younger ones, one a 3 month old baby. it was so cute! the baby animals are the best.

another highlight was seeing a cheetah, a rarer sighting, and watching it chase a gazelle and kill it for dinner ! wow! our guide was giggling like a baby because he had never seen a cheetah kill before.

The Serengeti was amazing, hopefully my pics will turn out so i can share them all with you. We returned to Arusha yesterday, and had dinner with my CCS roommate, who is still volunteering for another 2 weeks.


Today we flew to Zanzibar, where we will spend the next 10 days! we are in stone town for the first 3 and then hitting up 2 beaches after that. it's 28 C. we are going out to explore right now, just wanted to check in with you all.

thanks to everyone for the messages, keep then coming. I miss you all. HI to everyone at Stantec, i was thinking of you on June 1, hope you all don't hate me too much for not helping finish up the branding stuff. no one here knows what graphic design is..... oh well.


peace and love!

heath

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb