Tanzania - Day 5


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Transfer day from Serengeti NP to Ngorongoro Crater. Stopped at Olduvpai Gorge, not Olduvai Gorge, on the way to the Crater. Some German guy was in the process of naming a butterfly found in the area and thought the natives said Olduvai instead of the proper Olduvpai. Every since the world has known it has Olduvai instead on Oldupai. Not much to look at--just a gorge. However, has a good museum and visitor’s center. Learned a team last week may have made an important find in the 1.75 to 2 million year layer. The items are off to the lab to verify the date.

Arrived at the Crater at 12:40 p.m. Is kinda of impressive from a landscape point of view. Not impressive from a wildlife point of view once you have been in the Northern part of Serengeti NP. If you came here 1st the wildlife would be more impressive. There is a little bit of everything except giraffe. Just not large numbers as in the NP. At 2:29 p.m. E.A.T. I completed the African Big 5. Found a dumb rhino who came out in the afternoon heat. The only one I saw in the 4 hours and 20 minutes in the Crater. We watched Mr. Rhino for about 20 minutes in which time he did nothing. Not one step, just a head turn now and then. Did have to fight off a Vervey monkey who really wanted to take something from inside the cruiser. Once on the roof, he started in the sun roof, I stood my ground, screamed and waved my hands, he flashed teeth and screamed back, about them Pokea "brushed" him off the roof with a stick. Now, the sun roof is not the typical type you see on a car. It run almost the full length of the land cruiser.

Back to food. I have not had lunch at a lodge. Everyday have been out game watching. A lunch box will have: banana, orange, apple, carrots, chicken, hard boil egg, 6" sandwich roll, 2-3 sweet rolls, bag of peanuts, 2 Del Monte fruit drink boxes, bottle of water, and a Cadberry bar. Not the same type of food you would get at the lodge but where you are eating makes the difference. Always a great view and four legged company of the friendly type.

No pictures today. The internal Wifi is down and I had to make special arrangements to get this posted. The outside connection is still working.

I think the lodge tomorrow night does not have web connection and I may not have time on Wednesday to post before leaving for the airport. So there may not be another entry until the evening of 7/7. However, check anyway--one never knows what you find in Africa
Happy 4th.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb