Machame


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,
Last weekend a few of us took a day trip out to Machame village, on the slopes of Kilimanjaro. We went with a guide who showed us all the local sights. The village is spread out, and surrounded by rainforest/bananna plantations. First of we went for a short 2hour trek into the forest, where we saw 3 waterfalls, and caves. We couldn't get to the big waterfall which you can swim in as it was the rainy season and so the path ws flooded. The village produces several local delicacies, the 2 main ones being coffee and bannana beer. Our guide took us to a local house where we were shown the coffee making process, then had ago ourselves. First job: remove the husks by mashing, then roast the coffee beans, then mash the beans and sieve. We go to taste the coffee we made, I'm not a big coffee drinker, but it did taste good! After lunch we headed futher into the village (which is very spread out), to a local hangout which served us the bannana beer, tasted OK, but had a horrible texture. We also saw how the beer was brewed (in plastic buckets) and I served a local woman behind the bar. Was good to get out and experience life in the countryside, its not like Moshi and has much more of a community feel about the place.

Gonna be heading out to Zanzibar this weekend so stay tuned!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



25th April 2009

Coffee Break
Great to hear about your exploits, keep the news coming. Hopefully Mark will hear what you are up to on the grapevine and want to go to Africa next year when he finishes Uni. Best Wishes

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb