The Elusive Lion


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
July 14th 2009
Published: July 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Roughing it in the great outdoors in search of wildlife. What could be better? Well let me start with the single-prop four seat private plane that flew us deep into the bush. We landed on a dirt strip in (legitimately) the middle of nowhere. Our safari guide was there to greet us and take us to our "camp". The riverside luxury tent camp just outside the Selous Game Reserve. Canvas tent with six large windows perfect for early morning game viewing, hot shower, proper bathroom with his and her sinks, and a private porch overlooking the river. Our personal escorts around the camp, 2 Masai warriors, were there to make sure we weren't attacked by any wildlife en route from our tent to the poolside gazebo lounge/dining area. We were waited on by our personal wait staff during every one of our 3 course meals in the most attentive manner, especially on the night we were the only 2 people in the entire camp. Never did my wine glass approach 1/2 empty nor did an empty water bottle blow over in the wind without the situations being rectified in a matter of seconds. Add to this the private game safari where we did not see another vehicle or person all day and you have what would be the most perfect safari experience...for some.

To be honest, the waiting on thing kinda got to us, especially when we were the only 2 in the camp. I mean seriously, what do these Masai warriors think, I can't defend my baby and myself against hungry predators in the night? How ridiculous! I got P90X to back me up, what do they have besides there little sticks and knives! They even carried flashlights to illuminate the way for Steph and I as if we were incapable of navigating the path on our own. I would have liked to have seen these guys on Mount Batur with the tour guide mafia last summer.

Anyway... Safari was great. The exhilarating rush when we first saw elephants through the trees is indescribable, let alone when one of them approached and was within trunks distance of Steph in our open vehicle. It was amazing seeing groups of giraffe seem to float like ghosts away from us as we approached. After hours making our way through the forest we reached the grasslands and saw herds of zebra and wildebeest. Bush buck, Greater Adu, countless Impala...the list goes on. All of this in one of the most surreal places we have ever been. Unfortunately we never did get to see any lions. It even turns out that a couple that went on a game drive our last evening saw 9 of them 😞

Unfortunately my time is nearly up, I will say that we are now in Arusha, capital of the northern safari circuit. We have just returned from a day around town scoping out our next safari company. We leave tomorrow morning for the Ngorongoro Crater and then a night in a farmhouse (albeit a luxury one) and then off to Tarangire National Park on Thursday. You can look forward to hearing from us on Friday and find out if we managed to find....the elusive lion!

E & S

PS: The cappuccinos are great, but no vanilla lattes

Advertisement



14th July 2009

Love reading about your day to day adventures. So glad you are posting again this year. Enjoy yourselves.
15th July 2009

Hey guys, Glad to have you on my radar was lmao at your initial entry. Look forward to more Be safe
15th July 2009

Wow, that does sound like a lux set up! That's the kind of safari I'd like to so. Hope you finally find the elusive lion. Say hi to Michael for me! Love to you all. xoxo
15th July 2009

hello
sounds like you're holding your own - glad to hear that despite the hotel mis-steps, you've been treated well. looking forward to see what awaits you next. hey....i saw an Impala or two as well! drove right past my house ;) summer in the city, in medford. good times. (argh) be safe, be well, guys! xo, Suzanne
17th July 2009

Did you see the lion(s)??????
Great to finally hear from you two. Thought you might have gotten lost somewhere..... before your first entry finally arrived. It sounds amazing. Enjoy reading about your adventures. Let us know when you see the lion(s). Looking forward to your next entry and hear of your experiences. thanks for sharing with all of us. Enjoy, relax and safe travels. Lucille Any pics coming our way?????

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb