Meserani Snake Park and Photos


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
May 8th 2009
Published: May 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey all,

Last weekend I went to Meserani Snake Park with Steph and Roo. We took the bus from Moshi to Arusha and then took a daladala from Arusha to Meserani (a tiny town in the middle of nowhere). We saw lots of snakes, Mambas, Spitting Cobras, Pythons, Boomslangs, Vipers and more. The snakes are collected from nearby and in return for not killing them, locals benefit from free antivenin (A good idea, if not slightly worrying to know the diversity of dangerous snakes around the town (and in Northern Tanzania). Also at the snake park were Vultures, Crocodiles and Tortoises and apparently Chameleons, but we didn’t see any. You can also arrange Camel rides there, which are run by a local Masai tribe. It cost us 1,000 TSH (50p) for a short Camel trek through the bush. It was very surreal, the last thing I expected to do in Tanzania was to ride a Camel!

On other matters, the teaching is going really good, the Physics test went well, although due to the fact that there were 80 odd kids in one small classroom it was hard to monitor and I’m pretty sure some cheating went on. It was reassuring to know that at least some of what I was teaching got through, most got around 50%, and one girl got 100%!

Life at the house is fun we all went out to Glacier to watch the Champions league matches. Wow, do Tanzanians like their football, the place was completely packed, and every time a goal was scored there was mass celebrations, they went ecstatic, dancing, kissing the screen, screaming and everything.

Anyway, it’s a short blog today, as I’m gonna try to upload lots of pics from my camera, enjoy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



10th November 2009

Arusha
Hi Ben I was in Arusha many moons ago in 1994. I lived at the Arusha vision Campsite for about 6 months and spent time hanging out with and helping to teach some of the lads on the street. I was trying to start a school way back then but ran out of money and couldnt convince anyone to help at that time. I ended up joining aust vol and got poste dto zimbabwe...not quite Arusha. I was able to have one trip back there in 1997. Meserani Snake Park was always an oasis to head to for story swapping and a great feed. Thank you for posting these pics it brings back great memeories. I was just surfing for memories and came across your blog. all the best cat
18th July 2010

how i can get snake park email?
am Daniel i would like to to get snake park email?

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb