week 2


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

week 2 has been busy. Stephanie (co teacher) and i are starting to figure out the kids. african kids are pretty rambunctious, lots of hitting and crying, not a timid bunch. we've taught them a few songs, they really like the Hokie Pokie, it keeps their attention for at least 10 minutes! yay! the other big winners are Bubbles, that lasted about 20 minutes! and books as well, they don't have many books here, so they really enjoy sitting down and looking at them, a nice break for Mwalimu ( teacher). although they all want your attention to watch them count things in the books.... it's fun, although tiring somedays. Sometimes it's frustrating not being able to understand them, but we are lucky to have Douglas to translate for us. Today i taught an art project, it's hard to think of things to do, they have no scissors or glue and only 1 box of crayons, so lots of sharing and drawing on construction paper.

on Monday we went into Arusha after work to shop and run errands. we took the dala dala which is the public transportation, a large minivan. we had 18 people on ours, which is moderately full. there is no such thing as full here, you just keep loading the people on. i bought some fabric and hope to have a tailor make me a dress today, fabric cost $5, a skirt is $5 to have sewn for you.


Tuesday we also went into Arusha after work. we had dinner at Khans, a BBQ house. it's a car parts store in the day and a BBQ place at night! you eat at picnic tables along the road and they bbq chicken and beef on huge bbq's, it's sort of tandoori style, and there is also an salad bar, featuring indian salads. the meat was good, they brought us huge plates of chicken to share. i haven't had much meat here.


wednesday we went into Arusha after work to listen to the IRCT, the International Rwanda Crinimal Tribunal. It is the UN court where they are trying people for the genocide in Rwanda ( if you've seen Hotel Rwanda it's that genocide). It was interesting, we watched the trial of the old health minister. I guess he is on trial as health vehicles were used in some crimes as well as neglect of the Tutsi's in the hospitals etc. interesting. His trial has been going on for a year or two... it's a long process.

i'm runnning out of time. so i'll continue later. this weekend we are visitng the Masaai tribe so i'll keep you posted on that!

heath






Advertisement



25th May 2007

Hello!
Fascinating babe. What a great cultural experience you are having. Send me your address and I'll send out some goodies.. Lots of love Vickyxxx
25th May 2007

Bubbles and Songs
Hi Heath, Sounds so interesting and an experience of a life time. Those children will never forget you! Enjoy the wonderful atmosphere, and the people. I can hardly wait to see pics. Love Sar.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb