Peer Teaching is the BEST


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Lushoto
March 12th 2010
Published: March 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Malindi, Yesterday was a very positive, uplifting day as far as work in our primary role as Health Volunteers. We took 10 Mtumbi Secondary Students in Form 4, who have been studying HIV/AIDS, to a local primary school.
We had set it up ahead of time with the Head Teacher and knew we had permission to talk about condoms to Standard 6 and 7 students. Standard 6 had over 100 and Standard 7 was about 70. Could we do it? YES, of course, with the help of our Peer Teachers who were in our Life Skills Club.
The Peer Group had done their research and used the many reference books from PEPFAR and Peace Corps. They rehearsed, assigned topics and grouped themselves into 2 groups for the 2 hour session. No, they did not want our numerous flip charts and games. They rehearsed a drama, song, and even an HIV rap to perform (something we certainly couldn't do). We walked the 30 minutes up the main dirt road and answered many, oh so many questions about life in California. As we walked passed shambas with tasseled maize, they would ask, "Who picks the corn in Ca?" "Do they eat ugali?" "Do they have roads like this in CA?" How do you begin to describe the massive produce fields of the Salinas Valley? Big machines instead of jimbe? A freeway with commuters clogging all lanes? I tried to focus on the similarities of the people and how much we were enjoying the wonderful country and people of TZ. These village students have never even seen Dar and some not even Lushoto which is a bus trip of 1 hour.
But, in the over-crowded, bare classrooms, the Peer Teachers were confident, knowledgeable, and engaging as they stressed the prevention and causes of HIV. The primary students were listening attentively and even asked a few questions. Our Mtumbi Students walked around the classroom engaging many and did an excellent job. When it came to the condom demonstration, 2 girls talked and showed the proper How To and Saida went on to say that "Dada, kaka you may not be ready for this now, but at least you know what it is and how to use in properly to prevent the spread of VVU.
Afterwards we walked to the Guesti for sodas and chocolate bunt cake (out of the PC Cookbook) to thank them. They want to do it again so we've booked another school for next week and then we'll see.
These are the leaders of tomorrow for TZ and they will do a fine job of insuring a healthy environment for their generation and those to come. We've worked with them in our Life Skills Club and now through Peer Teaching. We have a library now where they can find books to increase their knowledge and they are using it. We are proud of our Form 4 Mtumbi Peer Educators: Anton, Saida, Michael, Marietha, Silous, Iddi, Mwenjarabu, Ally, Christa, and Theresa. And, we won't forget you! They voiced concern that when we go back to CA we will forget them, but how could we? Tanzania has become a part of our lives and we will always remember the many smiling faces of Tanzania.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb