Going Batty in Tanzania


Advertisement
Africa
April 12th 2010
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

While accomplishing our real reason for being at Bob's site...that of doing an HIV/AIDS workshop at Gare Secondary School, which went very well, we made a discovery worth featuring on the Discovery Channel - Convent Bats. Over a thousand bats inhabit the trees between the church and the convent at Kongei. These fruit bats are large with a wingspan up to 24". They fly out for a nightly forwray of ripe fruit (in season now pears, apples) flying directly over Bob's house on the hillside. A shadow, then a flap of wings, and they disappear into the night sky.
But, in the daytime after Mass they are dangling, squeeking, bundles of hair. Mothers are nursing their young upside down and fathers are stretching their fingerwings and settling down for a long day's night sleep. They have many trees on which to hang their hats (or toes), but they favor the peaceful santuary of the convent. This makes a 20 yr residency which is disturbed only by cold weather. Like snowbirds they return when the weather warms and the smell of fruit is in the air. They appear so vivid as the dark bodies are in contrast to the green trees and the fact that they are so numerous. One actually flew into Bob's living room, circled our chairs and exited as soon as the door to freedom was opened. Wish they would switch their dietary needs to include mosquitoes. They are truly an amazing sight to see like so many amazing animals here, but we did not spot the Easter Bunny. We had a truly joyous celebration at many church services complete with Handel's "Alleluia" chorus. Our Easter dinner of fresh zucchini, scalloped potatoes au gratin, Turkey Spam from CA, and carrot cake gave a taste of home...and jellybeans. We take our Peer Teachers from Matumbi on the road again; this time we walk to Malindi Juu Primary School for HIV prevention and then back to our site for sodas and cookies. We are so proud of the job they do in presentating the facts, answering the many questions, and relating so well to the younger students. Education is the answer. Dave's power project can still use donors. Please go to peacecorps.gov/contribute to Dave Banks' power project for the dispensary in Malindi, TZ. Thank you.
OK, time is almost up...both on the computer and on our service. We really have only 4 months to go. The time flies as fast as a bat. Speaking of bat...baseball, that is, are the Giants really 5-1? Bye from TZ. Dave and Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb