TZ helping TZ


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Lushoto
February 26th 2010
Published: February 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It can be discouraging when you witness just how much there needs to be done and then where to begin, but sprinkled into the mix are moments when you see first hand that things are being done...and by Tanzanians. The Usambara Sisters, a TZ RC religious order, do many great things. They are very active in our area with providing schools, hostels, vocational training, spiritual guidance, and now micro financing. We were among 120 village women when they received their certificates (very important to TZ) and their first bank book. They havean incoming-generating project of growing pine seedlings which will encourage more tree planting and help the earth - one tree at a time. This project is being done on St. Theresa's church property with access to water and the road and walking distance to several villages.
The additional plus of the project comes from the bank account. Villagers have no real access to a bank as the only one is Lushoto, too far and too expensive to get to. So, the Sisters set up a bank account in the group's name. Each week each member gives 1,000tsh or $1USD to the treasurer. This is recorded in the individual's bank book. More $ can be added, but the minimum is 1,000.When a member has deposited 100,000tsh she she can borrow again.
This account assures each women of a savings - safe & secure which only she has access to. Thus, it allows her to have control over her own money that she has worked for. When it's time to pay school fees, buy seeds, or bury a loved one, there is money available. With this comes women's impowerment: dignity, management skills, independence, self-worth, and a role model for their daughters, and so much more. Each group of 30 also provided food staples for a recently widowed woman who was destitute.
This is a stunningexample of Tanzanians helping Tanzanians and we were happy to witness the pride and excitement that took place that day. Change comes slowlyhere, but it comes in meaningful ways. Thewomen of TZ are the hardest working people we . With love from TZ. Dave & Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb