Push, shove, run - just get on the boat


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
August 14th 2012
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had to leave the hotel by 8.30am which we were really gutted about. We loved our time in Zanzibar especially in Nungwi where we had a chance to relax and get to know our group better. Plus it was really lovely not having to be on the truck at all over those days and just deciding what we wanted to do each day. We do love overlanding and know it is the best option for seeing Africa but it is nice just having time to ourselves and getting to relax. We had a couple of hours in Stone Town so Chris and I went to the internet café and then met Shaun and Sharon for lunch. Neither of us had a lot of shilling left so we went to the cheapest place we could find. Shaun and Sharon were leaving us at Dar Es Salaam so it was great to spend some time with them before they left. They are a couple from Brisbane who have been with us since our first trip to the Masai Mara. There are so many Australians on the trip and its great meeting them and they are so encouraging that we will love Austaralia, and get jobs and they even say that we are always welcome to stay with them which is so nice to be offered!

After lunch it was time to get the ferry back to Dar Es Salaam, again I slept for most of the trip after taking my travel tablets. When we got the terminal we were told we were going to the public ferry which was only a five minute crossing but it cut out 60km of driving for the truck if we met him there instead. Getting the public ferry was CRAZY!!! Getting into the waiting area was ridiculous, everyone just pushed against you and there was so many people, plus having a backpack on your bag just made it so much harder to squeeze through any gaps. We got into the waiting area, which was basically like a big cow shed with everyone standing pushed against each other. Our guide told us we had to act like Africans, and just push everyone and run onto the boat so that we could get on. The boat itself is a bit smaller than the boat that takes you across from Magilligan – not big at all yet there was HUNDREDS of people, plus cars. Once they opened the gate people just started running, so we did too, and managed to get on the ferry in one piece. We were then told by our guide that when we got off, we would probably get separated, so just walk straight on following the crowd until we found our truck. I got lost from the group which was a bit daunting but managed to find the truck and all was fine! We got to our campsite and set up our tents before dinner. This was the last night for some members of the group so we had to say goodbye to them and spent some time with them in the campsite bar before heading to bed ready for the early morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb