Sudan/Darfur Genocide


Advertisement
Sudan's flag
Africa » Sudan
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Darfur Genocide came from the Sudanese government's continues attacks on the citizens. In 1989 the Sudanese government was overthrown by a military coup led by President Omar al- Bashir. After this overthrow in government , the country of Sudan was forced into a Civil War that lasted 22 years and killed nearly 2 million people. You might be wondering why would a country attack its own citizens. One of the many reasons is because of the overthrow in government. The new/current leader had different political views than the people who lived in Sudan. Instead of listening to the people, he decided to kill them off. Then in 2003 300,000 Darfuris were killed from having a rebellion and 2 million were displaced. There is a constant conflict with the government and the military. This country's situation reminds me of how Hitler took over and he was in the army. The army has started to rule Sudan. This was changed in 2011 though when the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) made the government and army sign a treaty. We are stilling watching for warning signs because this conflict is heated. This conflict still involves oil prices and democratic issues.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb