Kruger National Park and what I thought was a Giraffe attempting suicide.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 12th 2014
Published: November 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Kruger National Park and what I thought was a Giraffe attempting suicide.

We got up at 4AM. Groan. It would be a long day. We were supplied with breakfast boxes for our trip into the park. Once we arrived, we made sure that we had the bathroom break. We were to do the park in three segments. At dawn, yawn, we were ready. We hopped into a Land Rover that seated 9 and were on our way. Our driver Dirk was a big South African dude who thankfully had a sense of humour. Ten minutes into the trip we found a Cheetah! Incredible! Within 20 feet of us hunting. Paid us no mind, BUT nevertheless. As it was hunting it happened upon a tree and promptly marked its territory by sticking up its tail and squirting up and around the tree trunk. You guessed it. I have the pictures and you won't believe it! He then climbed the tree and was sitting regal like, and fortunately for us we were able to admire the cat. NO! It wasn't staged. We then went on our way and for the next 8 hours witnessed nature as it was meant to be. We saw all the big game. Leopards , Water Buffalo, Elephants, a Lion, Hippo, Rhino, and as well, Giraffes, a Croc, Impalas, Osprey, Monkeys, and the list is long. As the day progressed, we meandered over 200 KM's of terrain and enjoyed the prestige settings, passing by termite hills, burned out areas, and dried river beds. In the distance I spotted what looked like a giraffe high up on a tall hill. I swear it looked like it was going to commit suicide. I shouted at Dirk and pointed at it and he almost upchucked his lunch in hilarious agony. It turned out that up closer it was a monument. We have a psychiatrist on board to talk down the Giraffe, so we were equipped to handle the situation. Continuing on our journey, the last hour yielded a herd of Elephants, the Lion, and Water Buffalos crossing the road. I cannot tell you how fortunate I feel. I was overwhelmed by the end of the day and realize again that what is important is to live and enjoy every moment.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb