Travel day and a Farting Elephant


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 11th 2014
Published: November 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Travel Day and A Farting Elephant

We left Zambia by air and headed back to South Africa in time to pick up the rest of the gang. Once seated in the bus next morning we needed to travel 350 miles towards Kruger park. Along the way we stopped at various rest stops, but one in particular was interesting. They had a curio and grocery type store. Macadamia nuts, mango fruit slices, chocolate coffee beans, and nugats. Mmmm.
Hit a rain storm along the way which didn't bode well with our plans to visit the Elephants. We arrived at our hotel around 2, and freshened up before the excursion. Heading out our expectations were high. After we arrived at the Elephant Whisperer Camp we were briefed at what to expect. We were going to interact with 2 Elephants. A 19 yr. old and a 40 yr. old. The older one was huge with tusks, so it best represented my visions of what we hoped to see. The handlers were atop the Elephants and the trainers were below. The smallest Elephant came over to us and promptly lay down on its side. We were able to pet the Elephant on the stomach, ears and tusk. Some people stood behind the bum and caught the Elephant farting. It was smelly and Broke the ice. It was louder than a than a whooping cushion. Next came the big boy. To appreciate the size I will post a picture with me and the wife standing behind the trunk but in front of the two front legs. Just to say that this Elephant eats 250 to 300 kilograms a day of food and drinks 200 litres.
We have an early night because we have to get up at 4AM.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.69s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 72; dbt: 0.2836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb