Sani Pass


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 27th 2012
Published: September 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our first adventure on the trip was to take a jeep 4x4 up the Drakensberg Mt. in to the county of Lesotho at the top of the mountains. Drakensberg means dragon and the mountains look like a dragon's back. The Sani pass was used as a trading route long ago and the Sani people who live at the top of the Pass would travel down to trade with the South African tribes. Today the road is used for travel and for people to come down from the mountains to shop, trade, or work. The road is very steep and rocky. Falling rocks happen all time, we drove on the edge of cliffs, and running water and waterfalls run right into and over the road.

Today the Sani people live in circle huts made from stone and grass which is held together by hard animal dung. They have no windows or chimneys to keep the home as warm as possible. They make amazing bread in kettles cooked on the fire. (best bread I have ever had!)

The men are shep farmers and spend most of their time tending the flocks. Because of this the men are not allowed to go into their wives hunt after a baby is born or hold their babies till they are 4 months old to prevent sickness.

While visiting the village I bought a small cone shaped traditional hat that is supposed to represent the mountain. We also went to the hightest pub in africa were we played in the snow and had a meal and a drink. It was an interesting experience and I learned many things.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb