Lions and Tigers


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
June 30th 2006
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

6/28/06

Yesterday we went to Bethlehem like we do every Tuesday but this week was particularly busy. We had a lot of things that we needed to pick up, we wanted to drop off the new mailers at all of the interested businesses, and we were taking Shalom and Cornelius out as a reward for all that they do for Meh and Unedati, particularly the folding of the 2800 mailers that we will disperse this month. We went to the lion park where they had 13 lions, 2 lynx, 2 other cat like things with spots, and a Bengal Tiger. Inside they had little white tigers that you could pick up and pet. They make a sound that is rather uninviting but they are cuddly cute. On the way to the farm (down this bumpy dirt road) there was a large holding place for cattle where they are fattened up and waiting for slaughter. Apparently there is a deal between the lion park and the cattle place that any cattle that die there or any calves that are found in slaughtered cows are fed to the lions. While we were there the remains of a cow was in one pen (two legs) and a boors head was in the other pen, so we were able to see them eat. Although seeing them eat was interesting it was not the most interesting part of our time. Above the cage that kept the tiger (full grown) some men were digging and making some noise. The tiger could not see what was going on so he tried to climb to investigate the ruckus. He climbed up the rocks, and then the fence, and before we knew it he was outside of the cage. There is something about a 300 lb, all muscle, meat eating animal that inspires a person to run for safety. You are not supposed to turn your back and run from a meat eating animal, as you look like prey, but are you supposed to stand there? We went inside the lodge as the tiger chased the workers and I believe they were able to contain the tiger in the kitchen. After some coffee we found out that the tiger only wanted to play and has gotten out before. Too bad his idea of play is knocking a person to the ground and batting them around with his paw, paws that are nearly bigger than my face. But this experience was very interesting and I was able to take a lot of pictures.

It was a great encouragement to me to have this experience happen. On the way to the park I was praying for a few people that were laying heavy on my heart and also asking for a little bit of encouragement as I feel rather 'heavy laden' sometimes. I really appreciate God's sense of humor and also His unique way of answering our prayers. If we pray with an open mind then God just may bless us with a pleasant surprise.

Today we took about 1900 of the mailers to the post offices to be mailed. God has blessed me with a girl in my same generation to talk to. Her name is Lindsey and she is a very sweet girl. She goes away to school and is on school vacation right now. Today she went with us to deliver the mailers to the three post offices and then came over and helped to get the house back together. The roof over the lounge has been leaking for a long time and today it was replaced so we had to take down all of the pictures and move and cover furniture. The roof is tin and the man (and his helpers) were able to put it all on in one day. This afternoon we had prayer. A few things you can pray about if you think of it: In the last week 14 teachers, 4 police officers, and 8 robbers have lost their lives please pray for their families and that God would be glorified in these tragedies, Esther Fitz is the wife of one of the Board members of the ministry here she was diagnosed with cancer and then told that it was cured only to find out that it was not and is in a lot of pain and is in the hospital-please pray for comfort for both her and her husband.

Proverbs 25:26

A righteous man who falters before the wicked is like a murky spring and a polluted well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb