The Garden Route and The Farm


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
July 22nd 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Farm & Garden Route


View from the Beach HouseView from the Beach HouseView from the Beach House

View from Granny Yda's house in Agulhas
We left Cape Town and headed for Kell's Grans beach house at Cape Agulhas. The Southern Most Tip of Africa. Its an awesome place overlooking the ocean. Would be unreal for summer holidays. Unfortunately we were only there for the night because we had to get on the road to Mossel Bay where we would meet up with Kells other Gran who would take over the baby sitting duties.

Granny Yda took over the driving seat to Mossel Bay because i was driving to slow. Apparently 120km/h is slow here. Quite scary going 150km/h in a 100 zone with a gran behind the wheel. Casually too.

Anyway we made it to Mossel Bay and had lunch with Kells aunt, Jeanne before heading off with Granny #2, Bliss. Bliss took us to her place in Wilderness which is a small town on the beach, bit of a tourist destination for summer holidays. Has a huge lagoon and some good surf breaks in the area. Again though we were only there for the night because the next day we were off to Bliss and Sugar's (Kells grandfather) farm in the Karoo.

The drive was about six hours so we were
Kell @ AgulhasKell @ AgulhasKell @ Agulhas

Kell with the beach house and sunset in background.
glad when we finally arrived. Apparently they are putting in a massive Radio Telescope in the area so there was road works everywhere. Oh another interesting thing about the roads over here, if you can fit a person in a car/on a car anywhere thats totally cool. Most workers/labourers ride in the back of trucks/utes with the boss up front in the cab.

Yeah so we finally made the farm and it is huge, with almost no trees, just low growing heath type plants which they call 'the felt'. Anyway they farm sheep here, mainly for meat, which feed on the felt and they have heaps of bores which means plenty of water. The whole farm is on what used to be a lake thousands of years ago, which makes for an interesting landscape.

We hung at the farm for a few days. We just explored and chilled out most of the time. We rode the motorbike and played canasta which Bliss taught us. Took some cool photos, hearded some sheep. Good times.

They have like two coloured families who live on the farm and work for Sugar. Sugar Kell's grandpa not for actual sugar lol. Unfortunately we didnt get to speak to them much because they only really speak Afrikans. Anyway the farm was cool, the lamb tastes better over here, though seeing a slaughtered sheep hanging to dry from hooks in a tree kinda put me off dinner.

From the farm we headed back to Wilderness. We left a day early so Sugar and I could watch the rugby. Naturally Australia won which was good. South Africans really don't like the Springboks coach. I'll just leave it at that.

The rest of the time in Wilderness was spent checking out the Garden Route. We drove up the coast to Knysna and Plettenberg. Which means nothing to anyone reading this except of course for Kells family. It was nice, but seeing the beach just made us long for Greece.

Anyway now we are back in Cape Town. We spent our last day checking out some museums. A bit of culture. Soon we shall be in the Mediterranean =).


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

HitchhikersHitchhikers
Hitchhikers

Pretty standard scene in South Africa.
WildernessWilderness
Wilderness

A shot of the lagoon in the early morning.
Standard FenceStandard Fence
Standard Fence

Makes you feel safe =)...........
Why did the donkey cross the road?Why did the donkey cross the road?
Why did the donkey cross the road?

I donno, it's Carnarvon.
Sunset in the KarooSunset in the Karoo
Sunset in the Karoo

The farm is full of rusting junk ie: Character.
Before......Before......
Before......

You've already seen the 'after' shot.
More WindmillsMore Windmills
More Windmills

Upside down?
Cruisin' in the back of the UteCruisin' in the back of the Ute
Cruisin' in the back of the Ute

Ha they call them "Bakkies" here. Pronounced Bucky.
Standard TransportationStandard Transportation
Standard Transportation

Bad photo but it paints a standard picture of life in South Africa
Goats on the Road. WTF?Goats on the Road. WTF?
Goats on the Road. WTF?

I mean i've heard of donkeys, but.....
TownshipTownship
Township

This one seems quite nice, lots of space, fairly solid structures.


25th July 2008

Hi guys - seems you are having an awesome time. We have enjoyed all the photos esp the comments. Sunset looked fantastic! Off to cook a lamb roast.. xx Keep on having fun. PS Hope you rubbed the kaffas noses in last weeks result!!!!!!! (Chris wrote this)
26th July 2008

great photos
Loved the photos Nick, looks amazing. Enjoy and keep safe
26th July 2008

Lol
I didn't press to hard on the topic Chris, I didn't have a chance. They rub it in themselves enough, and then blame the coach/blacks.
26th July 2008

Thankyou!
Plenty more to come. =)
27th July 2008

Awesome photos Nick. Glad to see you're picking up on the South African lingo :)
29th July 2008

wow
awesome photos nick, keep it up. this travel blog thing is pretty cool. I don't know what else to comment on, too much to take in. Fuck knows how you guys are taking all of this in, seeing as you have a hectic schedule. Anyways, that is my thoughts for right now, truly insightful I know.
29th July 2008

Oh right.
Kel's grandparents names are Sugar and Bliss??? That is pretty funny/ interesting.

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb