Cape Of No Hope


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 (Wednesday 22-Apr-09, JRJ)

Woke up at 8:15 refreshed after a great nights sleep to the news that the Liverpool - Arsenal score was 4 - 4! Fan-fricken-tastic!

Not much to do in Capetown - so decided to hire a car which was only £15 a day. I went to the car hire place to collect our little shitty 1.1 Corsa, came back to hostel for Nat and off we went to explore the Cape Peninsula. On the way out of Capetown we got a bit lost, but eventually found the M6 to take us to Cape Point. Drove past a few more townships on the way - we can't get over how big these places are and how many people must live in them. We drove through Muizenberg, Simonstown and Boulders Beach (where we went to see the penguins). We got to the Cape Point National park about lunch time. On the drive through the National Park we saw some real life wild baboons on the side of the road. They looked very cuddly and I wanted to get out and give them a cwtch but Natalie wouldn't let me. We got to Cape Point, had some sandwiches and then walked, for what seemed like miles, up a steep, winding path to the Cape Point Lighthouse. Wasn't really worth it to be honest! We could have been in West Wales.

After that, we drove to the Cape of Good Hope, where we saw real life wild ostriches. I wanted to get out and give them a cwtch but Natalie wouldn't let me. Had our piccies taken at the Cape of Good Hope. It's the most South Westerly Point of Africa didn't you know?

Next, we drove back the way we came and then towards the garden Route. Didn't really know where were going but had a rough idea to keep heading East. We drove through loads of towns on the way including Hermanus, famous for it's Whales and Stanford, where I think that rich cricket fella lives there, cos I saw a big estate called the Robert Stanford Estate. We saw some more real life beasties - zebra and springbok - but Natalie wouldn't let me get out and ride them! The journey to Struisbaai looked like quite a short distance on the map - but it took ages. South Africa is a big place! We got there just as it was turning dark and booked into the 'Cape Agulhas Backpackers' which was lush and cheap as chips! Only about £15 for the night. Had food in the Bella Luna restaurant (the only one that seemed to be open in this tiny beach resort). Retired to bed about 9:30 for another good nights sleep after a tiring day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb