A Taste of Colonial Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » North West » Rustenburg
December 3rd 2012
Published: December 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We experienced the most wonderful re-introduction to Africa I could have imagined. Friends of our family from the time we lived here welcomed us into their home, and what a beautiful home it is. An understated lavender-coloured and surprisingly spacious colonial cottage is filled with elegant and beautiful rooms, each with it's own unique character. The building is not very old but it has been built using old material, the most stunning of which is the wood. The floor boards groan with age as we walk around. The old timber windows frame the beautiful views from every angle. Every room takes your breath away and every little nook has something to offer with small surprises everywhere like the miniature sheep in front of the fireplace and a small bookcase dedicated to the 'Grandkids'. Not one but four Christmas large trees and a whole room dedicated to Christmas. It reminds me of the dining room in Great Expectations. And being in the room makes me wonder if every year is just a prelude to the main event. I have read somewhere that anticipation is the best part of any experience so here there is a constant reminder of the joy that comes on that day. Upstairs the bedrooms all have bathrooms and again, each room is decorated with painstaking care. Hidden inside a cupboard is the Narnia room, a delight for the grandchildren filled with dress up clothes and other items where a child (or adult) could get lost in a world of imagination. Here lives a family who obviously live in the moment, taking everything possible from the best life has to offer. Definitely something to ponder and take away with me.

There is a honeymoon cottage set amongst the lush African paradise that surrounds the property. It has been decorated with care and again, every detail seems to hold a lot of thought. The front door has a string of hearts and there is a rocking chair on the veranda to take in the pleasurable sounds and smells of the African surroundings. Another veranda overlooks the mountain in the distance. A swing hangs from the tree and a secret fairy garden almost goes without notice with a mushroom shaped table and stools surrounding. What an amazing and beautiful place.

There is a swimming pool with bubbling water and the view from the deck is simply stunning. The sounds of the African bush at dusk are still familiar and the red sunsets are a welcome sight at night. Two beautiful Great Danes sleep almost all day and are very friendly. I'm told they will defend their masters if necessary but there is no sign of any aggression. Beautiful creatures.

The best part of the experience though, are our hosts. Old family friends who I have fond memories of but these are made so much stronger by the warmth of their welcome. Their desire to share their home and their experiences with us helps us to settle into the trip and their obvious love of this country piques my interest.

The property is surrounded by high security fences with backup systems if the power goes out. I ask one of our hosts whether they feel safe. The answer is a resounding yes and for a moment I feel comfortable. But it is followed by a qualification regarding the comfort provided by the security systems that are in place and being careful not to tell the children too much to scare them. So I return to my existing frame of reference.

There are a couple of African gardeners who look up and smile every so often. They still appear to be as nervous as I remember, not wanting to cause any problems and to somehow blend into the background. They are very quiet as they go about their day. Like my parents, our friends pay them a fair wage, more than most. The maid is very friendly but also reserved and she lowers her eyes frequently. A clear sign that the culture hasn't changed as much as I'd expected for everyone.

I'm beginning to see why my father is so in love with this country. I feel like I'm trapped in time here, like we are in the old Africa with it's graceful houses and colonial feel. It just needs a few large African animals in the surrounding bush and this picture would be complete.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb