Schools in South Africa


Advertisement
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Siyabuswa
December 6th 2013
Published: December 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Most photos are from my school in Kameelpoort (Molapoamogale) which is a small village. Sele School has 190 students in Gr 7-12. George's and Eva's schools are Gr 7-9 and much bigger. Eva's is in a densely populated region around our shopping village. The difference in size, location, and the personality of the principal makes our school situations different in some ways. But then they... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Gr 10 who helped me move books onto the bookshelvesGr 10 who helped me move books onto the bookshelves
Gr 10 who helped me move books onto the bookshelves

One of the learners got out his phone and played music...they worked so well to the music.
Gr 10 boysGr 10 boys
Gr 10 boys

I would love to describe the personalities of each of my learners...you just have to look at all of these photos and see their spirit.
Gr 10 with flowers Gr 10 with flowers
Gr 10 with flowers

Agric. Science teacher gave this class the project of planting around the buildings for class credit. After all the rain this season our school looks great! It has really greened up around here, but it won't last for long.
Part of Gr 12Part of Gr 12
Part of Gr 12

I taught all the Gr 12's. 13 in Pure Maths and 20 in Maths literacy. The following are after the Maths Lit group finished their last exam and are so very happy!
Lettie Monene and Vivian MorokaLettie Monene and Vivian Moroka
Lettie Monene and Vivian Moroka

They are in my room studying for exam. Throughout the year, learners would come by for help. Mostly Gr 12.
2012 Heritage Day2012 Heritage Day
2012 Heritage Day

These are Gr 11 boys who I had in Gr 12 this year. Again, such classic faces and poses, see if you can find them in the Gr 12 photos.
Mr. Ramolefo signing the shirt of a Gr 12 learner.Mr. Ramolefo signing the shirt of a Gr 12 learner.
Mr. Ramolefo signing the shirt of a Gr 12 learner.

Ramolefo is the Sepedi teacher. Sepedi is one of the Home Languages taught here. 85% of learners speak Sepedi, the others speak isiNdelbele.
Me outside my classroomMe outside my classroom
Me outside my classroom

This room was built to be a computer lab and is the only room with built-in desks. It was filled with books, bikes, broken computers, and who knows what else, until Shilpa cleaned it out to use to teach Maths in. When the school introduced the two tracks of Pure Maths/Physical Science or Maths Lit/Tourism for Gr 10-12, each grade of 30-40 learners had to split up. Some stay in their classrooms and teacher goes to them and others go to the classroom of the teacher. It is a mix then of some rooms that belong to the teacher (and doors lock) and then the classrooms designated for each grade level (with the wooden desk/chair sets) (and they don't lock and are in disrepair because learners are unsupervised when teachers don't come to teach)
Books in a dilapidated bookshelfBooks in a dilapidated bookshelf
Books in a dilapidated bookshelf

The books are all over the room, under desks, in boxes, in shelves and there is no organization at all.
Bicycles (don't work)Bicycles (don't work)
Bicycles (don't work)

Apparently they were donated to be used by learners who live a long distance from the school. But there weren't enough bicycles for the learners so they weren't distributed.
Beautiful desks/recycled broken desks Beautiful desks/recycled broken desks
Beautiful desks/recycled broken desks

These desks are the only desks in both schools suited for art , so I am so lucky. When the black plastic chairs broke from one year's use I got desperate and found the graveyard for the wooden desk/chairs. When the table part broke off they were thrown out. But I revarnished them and they slide under the desk and serve as chairs for 2 learners at each cubicle.
Broken black chairsBroken black chairs
Broken black chairs

At the sides of the room I have no recycled chairs so the learners just sit on the desks and use the broken chairs for foot rests.
Broken chair pieces Broken chair pieces
Broken chair pieces

I use the backs of laminated white posters as white board and to tack up things. These are pictures from some young children who came to visit.
My deskMy desk
My desk

Put a bunch of book boxes together and use it as a table for my teaching supplies.



3rd March 2014
Mr. Ramolefo signing the shirt of a Gr 12 learner.

I missed Sele already

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb