Day in Kruger


Advertisement
Published: November 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had arranged for any of the wedding guests that were staying a bit longer to come into Kruger for the day, we were going in convoy. We left the chalets at 5am to get in Malelane Gate pretty much as soon as they opened. We took a leisurely drive to Crocodile Bridge where we all had breakfast seeing some game along the way although nothing very exciting.

Our next leg took us up to Lower Sabie in time for a late lunch before making our way across to the Paul Kruger gate as time had just run away with us. With so many people (about 15 if I remember correctly) it did take quite a while to get everyone fed and watered and back on the road again!

Game spotted was white rhino, elephant, lion, buffalo, impala - of course, waterbuck, wildebeest, duiker, herds of zebra and giraffe which was petty good going for just a day trip but the finale was still to come.

All Kerry had wanted to see during out time in Kruger this year was a leopard, and although Andy and I had a good sighting she hadn't seen one, well she was about to see one closer than she wanted. We were in a convoy of 3 cars having left one at Lower Sabie (they were staying overnight there), we were in front, Adrian was behind us and Kerry and Dave were bringing up the rear. We were a couple of yards ahead of them, there were no animals to be seen anywhere when a leopard jumped out of the bush at the side of the road, grabbed a baby warthog and made off. Dave had to swerve to avoid the leopard and the rest of the warthogs, Kerry promptly burst into tears with the shock of it all and it was all over in a split second. She managed to phone us to tell us to come back (it was very lucky because there isn't much mobile phone coverage in Kruger outside the main camps). When we turned round we could see Mum and Dad warthog and the rest of the babies all running up and down the road quite distressed and we could see the Leopard in the tree with the baby warthog in its mouth.

Kerry has decided that she now doesn't like leopards and doesn't want to see another kill. The rest of us were just a bit peeved that we missed it all, but that's the way it goes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb