Startled by a lion's roaring !


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Phalaborwa
August 18th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -23.943, 31.1411

Were #1 at the gate which is not so surprising here as it would be at Satara or Lower Sabie but we wanted to be able to have something of a game drive as we headed into Phalobowra. We had barely left the gate and got to see 3 adult and 3 baby hyena out on the road. The babies of course are so cute looking but they were being urged back off the road by the adults.
of the
At around 6:22 we decided to stop at the waterhole fairly close to the entrance. As we approached the road we both were startled by the sound of a lion roaring! Drove down the road and there was a lion right by the waterhole. We watched as he moved from the edge of the water and up to the side of the dam and sat there for awhile and then started moving off and moved outa of sight.

Also got to see a vulture nest with the vultures on it. Knew there was a speed trap on the road back to Phalabowra and so minded our speed all the .way to the gate.

Hit all the shops, Shoprite, Pick n Pay, Woolworth's and a auto shop to get some rubbing compound to hopefully buff out part of the damage done to the car by Patrick, the safari driver.

Fixed lunch at the entrance and then headed back to the camp. On the way back saw a giant eagle owl, buffalo and two African fish eagles. Got back and did some of the packing prep for our move in the morning to Olifants. Culla and Leon came over and wanted to show us the Scops Owls they had found. Without them we would not have found them. Very cool. Did not do a night drive but worked on and said our goodbyes to Culla, Jeanetta and Leon.




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb