Heavenly Olifants Camp Splurge


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Hoedspruit
August 19th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.349, 30.9542

Up and did a leisurely pack up before heading out. We did not have far to travel and we knew we probably would not be able check in when we first got there. Drove down to the river to see what we could see there. Not much happening and took the river road. There was a very large female elephant with her baby who seemed a little upset with us as we drove past.

Drove to the waterhole and there was no lion and so we decided to drive the secret road we have discovered and as we drove the loop could see dust rising. Got to the overlook and there were hundreds of buffalo either in the water or heading to the water. The dust they were making made the whole scenario seem very surreal. Of course tried to shot it in one of the specialty settings which helped set the scene. Saw an African Fish Eagle and Osprey hunting while we were there.

Funny incident. We were in the primo spot to view the waterhole and one of the exclusive safari vehicles came driving up. Seemed surprised to see us in the spot and furthermore, we did not move out of the way for them.

Got to reception and we were early and the man at reception called the cleaning crew and had them start on our room. While waiting walked around all the rooms and checked everything out.
Had a relaxing afternoon after cleaning out the cooler boxes and put things in fridge to cool down. Had to turn the fridge to the wall so the baboons could not get in and destroy all our food supplies!

Drove down to the bridge before dinner and then back to the deck for dinner. Got a seat overlooking the Olifants river and there were actually some elephants down in the river. We also got to see bush babies and bats at sunset. Had an interesting visit with the general manager about the problems of running a restaurant when the temperature gets to 100+ degrees.

Back to room for more beer and wine and worked on stories. Did discover that I had not pushed the refrigerator flush against the wall and the baboons had tried to get in but were not able to get anything! Nice sleep in bed after couple of weeks in tent.




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

burffalo coming to waterburffalo coming to water
burffalo coming to water

these pictures are not in order but on trip to Phalabowre was really amazing!
really an experiencereally an experience
really an experience

they dust they were creating was very surreal!
think things will get bad in Krugerthink things will get bad in Kruger
think things will get bad in Kruger

We are seeing waterholes drying up and more and more animals coming down to fewer and fewer waterholes


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb