Day 3: Zulu Village and Wild Cats


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Saint Lucia
May 5th 2019
Published: March 20th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Veyane Cultural Village

Today is our first volunteer day with VESA. Our first stop was the Veyane Cultural Village where we learned about Zulu culture. We learned some Zulu phrases which I have now forgotten. Furthermore, we witnessed and took part in some interesting Zulu dances, wore some traditional Zulu dress and explored comforting Zulu homes. After the Zulu cultural center tour we had lunch at the village and then it was off to our first volunteer destination: The Emdoneni Cheetah Project.



The Emdoneni Cheetah Project

At the Emdoneni project we didn't have time to volunteer but we got the opportunity to learn about the conservation efforts at the lodge. The aim of the Emdoneni Cheetah Project is to care for and rehab orphaned or injured Cheetahs, Serval Cats, African Wildcats and Caracals (Lynx). Also they work to breed their ambassador animals and release their offspring back into the wild to conserve the wild Cheetah population.



After meeting the different types of cats, unfortunately it was time to head back to our accommodation. It would have been nice to spend the full day volunteering with the cats. Nevertheless. I had a great time learning about the different types of wild cats and the conservation efforts of the Emdoneni Cheetah Project. Tomorrow, we get to spend the full day volunteering at the crocodile center in Saint Lucia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb