Lions, giraffes and driving...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng
February 20th 2008
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lauren stroking a lionLauren stroking a lionLauren stroking a lion

The lion behind my head was the playful one that bit and licked me...
Today has been one of the best days that I have had in South Africa... It has been so much fun, and it is still only 17:51.

This morning, we spent our time at the Lion Park on the other side of Johannesburg, and it was really good. Well worth going... We went into the main park first, and we looked at lions really close up, and they are surprisingly big. We looked at the cheetahs in the enclosure next to them, and they were really well camouflaged.

We then went to the giraffe feeding platform, and we bought a bag of food for R15, and then we got to feed the giraffe which was a very strange thing to do. The tongue is huge, and it wraps its whole tongue around your hand to grab the food. It was not really wet, even though the giraffe was dribbling everywhere, and the dribble stuck to your hand.... LOL.

Then we went into the cub enclosure, where we got to go in with and touch the 5 1/2 month old lion cubs which were really cute and quite playful. One of them bit my skirt, and licked my arm,
Mel and the lionessMel and the lionessMel and the lioness

A pic of mel and the lionesses.
and it was like sandpaper. One of them bit Mel's skirt and it was trying to play with it like a cat.

Then because Julia couldn't drive because she had fallen on some steps and strained her ankle, I drove around the lion enclosures and we saw lots of lions, and some cubs. It was really cool because they had just been fed. We watched them eating, and they were really smelly.

Mel drove back to the girls' school, and we picked them up at 2:15, and then I drove back to the house, and that was really fun, because the South African drivers are crazy.. I drove along the highway, and it was quite good in Cliff's car, as it has quite a lot of power, and I even managed to get into 6th gear.

Then we have been swimming, and played a game called Coco, and we also played bombing.... It was really fun...
Now we are deciding which pizzas to order for dinner.

Mel says: Please leave comments on here family and Andrew.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

GiraffeGiraffe
Giraffe

The giraffe that we fed by hand!
Lions!Lions!
Lions!

The pride of lions we saw.
White LionWhite Lion
White Lion

A big white lion


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb