Along the coast


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Jeffreys Bay
July 16th 2006
Published: August 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jeffrey's BayJeffrey's BayJeffrey's Bay

Us watching the Surfing Championships
Yo dudes - surf's up!
We arrive in Jeffery's bay in the middle of the Billabong Pro surf competition. The competition is fierce on the beach as everyone tries to out-cool each other in their designer shades.
As you can see I out shined them all to walk away with the coolest backpacker on the beach prize.
There were things happening out on the water too ! Supertubes (yes it really is called that) produced perfect waves with amazing tubes. We had to wait some time to see anyone ride in the 'green room', as the surfers were making their way through the early rounds, and it wasn't until Kelly Slater appeared that we saw some really cool moves.

Moving on down the coast Knynsa was our next overnight stop. Didn't think much of the backpackers out there - but the town was nice.

Next day it was on to TitsiKarma National Park where we did the first day of the Otter Trail. The Otter Trail is a 5 day hike along the coast which gets booked up years in advance, but the first part can be done as a one day walk returning along the coast.
The waves
Tsitsikamma National ParkTsitsikamma National ParkTsitsikamma National Park

Very big waves here
were enourmous as we tracked along close to the shore, first walking along an easy path, and then scrambling over boulders and jumping puddles, following a trail of yellow paw prints on the rocks.
The end of the walk is marked by a waterfall which is quite dramatic - especially as you have to time things carefully to run across at the bottom of it without being caught by a wave from below ! We both really enjoyed it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tsitsikamma National ParkTsitsikamma National Park
Tsitsikamma National Park

Louise infront of the waterfall we walked to.
Tsitsikamma National ParkTsitsikamma National Park
Tsitsikamma National Park

Bernard infront of the ocean!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb