Cape Agulhas


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
July 18th 2006
Published: August 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Struis BaiStruis BaiStruis Bai

Very near the most southerly point in Africa!
Cape Agulhas - the ends of the earth !
Or, perhaps, the most Southern Point in Africa - and where the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean meet.
Bump down a dusty track to a sign which proclaims in large letters the offical point where the hydrologists decided is the official point where the oceans meet. I suspect that the point is entirely arbitrary - but don't tell the hydrologists or I'll get angry letters.
There's not much to see from there but endless sea - but the crashing waves are dramatic and there's something erie about the whole area. We decided to challenge our car, and took it up a fairly off road trail to look at the pensinsula from on high.

You can see a shot of our car here - it's a brand new mark one golf... which is the most common car on the road in South africa. They still produce them here, as they don't have the british rules about air bags and so on, and what they want are cheap reliable cars. Btw - you can also buy a modern golf here - if you can afford it!

A quick plug for the
Cape AgulhasCape AgulhasCape Agulhas

The most southerly point in Africa, and the meeting of the Indian and Atlantic Oceans - some days very calm!
Cape Agulhas backpackers - brand new, very friendly, one of the nicest places we stayed. Oh - don't watch the 'Air Jaws' dvd if you plan on doing any surfing....

Arniston is a tiny fishing village just around the corner from the Cape - we went to a little craft shop tucked away in the middle of nowhere on a recommendation - fantastic. Once we'd convinced her that vegetarians really won't eat fishcakes, we got on fine. Took a stroll on another empty beach to make a great end to the day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

ArnistonArniston
Arniston

Lunch at Arniston
ArnistonArniston
Arniston

Arniston Beach


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb