Our Smallholding Farm in South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Grahamstown
February 6th 2010
Published: February 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Martindale Farm HouseMartindale Farm HouseMartindale Farm House

This is a view of our home from the front garden area.
Rainmaker and I purchased an 18 1/2 acre smallholding farm located in the Eastern Cape between Grahamstown and Port Alfred in the farming community of Martindale in September 2005. We did not and still do not farm. We simply love and enjoy the country lifestyle. Our location is perfect because we have the choice of driving 30 kms (18 miles) to go into Grahamstown or Port Alfred. We go into Port Alfred during the Gramstown Festival as there are too many cars and people on the streets during this time in Grahamstown. During the Christmas and school holidays we prefer to go into Grahamstown as there are literally too many people and cars in Port Alfred during this time. So we have the best of both and it is always a pleasure wherever we go.

Our smallholding is situated also only 18 kms (11 miles) from Bathurst. Bathurst is a quaint little village similar to the little villages of the UK, this also where we pick up out postal mail. We are so centrally located here in the country, so close to the beach, mountains and game reserves. You can actually spend the day at any of these doing the
Cycad PlantCycad PlantCycad Plant

This is one of several Cycad plants that are located on the farm. The cone in the middle is what produces new branches.
activities you want to and be home to sleep in your own bed at night.

Located on our small farm here in South Africa are Guava trees, Nartje (orange) trees, Banana trees and Fig bushes. It really is a self sufficient farm and gives us the peace and tranquility which we often seek and are not able to find elsewhere. We have a high speed internet connection through a radio link and the local tower is located on a hill on a farm behind us, the signal goes through a radar detector located on our roof.

On our farm, we have 2 dogs, Sandy and Katie, who are father and daughter, 3 cats named Jack, Bob and Daisy, a Rooster named Herman and several other chickens and another rooster named Hermanus (Herman's son). There is nothing like being able to have fresh farm eggs everyday for breakfast. We have a Horse, named Rambo, who belongs to a neighbor. We used to have a wonderful sweet Donkey named Dimples, but a couple months ago, he passed over. Unfortunately, he caught his privates on a fence and ended up bleeding profusely and we were unable to save him. That even
Dimples and GypsyDimples and GypsyDimples and Gypsy

This was our beloved Dimples standing with Gypsy the Visiting Horse.
tore my heart out, as I loved this animal dearly.

We had a Horse named Gypsy who came to visit us out of the blue and refused to stay away. His caretaker has finally decided that he must be kept in another area in which he cannot escape, so we have not seen him in a long while. We even have a Frog that loves to come in the house to visit. We will not know he is around until we hear the splashing of water in the animals drinking bowl. We have to keep a close eye on that one so that we keep the water fresh. The cats and the dogs don't seem to mind that the frog is in the house, but they will alert us to it if we do not see it.

We have had a couple of snakes come into the house, but they were quickly captured and taken outside where they belong.

Martindale Farm is a historical site as the area was once owned by 1 person, and he decided to sub-divide the land into several different farms and a couple of smallholdings. We have one of the very few
Herman and the GangHerman and the GangHerman and the Gang

The chicken gang will stand at the window and peck lightly on the window everyday at feeding time to let us know it's 4:00 PM
smallholdings located in the area. There is so much history pertaining to our small farm. There is a book that has been written by a local and our history has now been preserved, not only Martindale Farm but the entire Martindale area.

Bird life is so abundant here on Martindale Farm and throughout Martindale and the entire Eastern Cape area. It is not unusual to look out and see an Owl sitting on our fence post, or see Cranes landing on our roofs, or even Storks walking in our pastures and one of the best sites I have seen would have to be the Hoopoe making a nest on our roof. During the rainy season, we have two dams on the property and when they are full, we will hear the Frogs singing and mating.

Martindale Farm to me is the best place on earth to be especially since I love Mother Nature and all she has to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Chicken AreaChicken Area
Chicken Area

This is the chicken area, where they are supposed to be sleeping at night, but never do.
Yesterday Today TommorrowYesterday Today Tommorrow
Yesterday Today Tommorrow

This is a picture of the YTT plants that are located by our front door. The smell is awesome when in full bloom.
Nartje TreesNartje Trees
Nartje Trees

These are the Nartje trees with fruit. So sweet and extremely easy to peel. Makes great marmalade.
Looking towards BathurstLooking towards Bathurst
Looking towards Bathurst

It is in this direction that on very clear days you can see the sea (ocean) from our front steps.
Some of the Farm AreaSome of the Farm Area
Some of the Farm Area

This is a portion of the farm that is located across the road by the cottage.
Cottage on PropertyCottage on Property
Cottage on Property

This is the small 5 room cottage that is located on our farm.
Sandy and Katie in the GardenSandy and Katie in the Garden
Sandy and Katie in the Garden

This shows only a small portion of our front garden area.
Rubber TreeRubber Tree
Rubber Tree

This is one of the largest Rubber Trees I have ever seen and it is in my front yard. Provides a nice relaxing place to enjoy Mother Nature.
Rubber Tree 2Rubber Tree 2
Rubber Tree 2

This is a better view of the Rubber Tree from a distance.
White Guava Grove AreaWhite Guava Grove Area
White Guava Grove Area

These are the White Guava trees and we also have the Pink Guava Trees. I prefer the pink to the white as they are much sweeter. The white ones make great fruit roll ups.
Parking WorkshopParking Workshop
Parking Workshop

This is a huge steel constructed workshop and parking garage. I use half for a woodworking shop and the other half we use for parking our cars.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb