Rwanda, you Caught my Eye


Advertisement
Africa » Rwanda
May 1st 2014
Published: August 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Help me Rwanda...I can’t get you out of my heart. Uganda was all about the breathtaking landscapes and wildlife safaris but as we cross the border into Rwanda, the vibe drastically changes. This is going to be an emotional awakening. I just know it. Rwanda is truly a dark emerald set in a band of sparkling gold. When I was twenty, my best friend Syd and I saw that movie Gorillas in the Mist. ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Aprehensive ToddlerAprehensive Toddler
Aprehensive Toddler

Poor little guy was a bit nervous but settled down some time later.
HospitalityHospitality
Hospitality

Invited into random homes to meet people and hold babies. Ruhengeri was a very lovely place with lovely people.
RangersRangers
Rangers

Our group of rangers protected us from both gorillas and poachers, plus the armed men that were coming from the Congo side and had killed one of their coworkers the night before.
Fruit stopFruit stop
Fruit stop

One of the Canadians drives a hard bargain getting some unedible fruit from the hawkers headed for market
Who the heck are you?Who the heck are you?
Who the heck are you?

I loved the expressions on the faces of most locals when they spotted us. Especially small children. My next photo they are all smiles.
Hotel RwandaHotel Rwanda
Hotel Rwanda

The actual site that was based on in the movie. It was very important as many lives were spared during the genocide thanks to quick thinking staff.
Kids of the Potato fieldsKids of the Potato fields
Kids of the Potato fields

When the kids saw us coming up the hill they ran to meet us. Everyone so very excited to try out their English.
Traffic jam Rwandan styleTraffic jam Rwandan style
Traffic jam Rwandan style

oh the chaos of just daily living with a million others in Kigali
On top of a VolcanoOn top of a Volcano
On top of a Volcano

Too bad the Rwandan mist arrived, but it was a fun day nonetheless.



14th August 2014

OMG!!
What an experience. What an adventure. What a writer. Wow. This was amazing. Thank you for sharing. I'm speechless.
15th August 2014

Merry Jo and Dave, you've gotta go Rwanda! I figure the more of us that visit, the more they will value tourism and perhaps save the gorillas. Thanks for the blog praise too! I just tells it likes it is!
14th August 2014
Beautiful Soul

That's Incredible
What a pic Andrea. What is he or she thinking? Definitely 5 stars.
15th August 2014
Beautiful Soul

I think she's a she. A real beaut. I didn't get many pictures because I was just enjoying the moment, but this was a gooder.
14th August 2014

Wow im super jealous!
Wow Andrea, just Wow. Some things are worth the cost - hope to get there myself one day.
15th August 2014

Thanks Aussie! Somethings just don't have a pricetag. This was one of those experiences.
15th August 2014

How freakin' awesome was that?!
Andrea, to say I'm super envious would be an understatement...but I'm so happy that you got to experience that. Gorillas in the Mist was a pivotal film for me, and had a huge influence on my subject choices of conservation and primate research at uni. Thanks for sharing! :)
15th August 2014

Fascinating! You must go! The gorilla doctors was an amazing facility. You know what will happen don't you? You'll go there and not leave. Seriously.
15th August 2014
Beautiful Soul

Excellent adventure!
I love it that you took the time to experience the gorillas, look them in the eye and have a deep connection rather than just immediately snapping their photos, and how great that the tour money went for conservation! You, like everyone who's been to Rwanda, speak of the lovely, gentle people--how bizarre that the genocide occurred among such sweet souls. Hopefully, never again.
15th August 2014
Beautiful Soul

Oh Tara, I swear Rwanda was something else. I am so lucky I got to experience the people and the gorillas. And I was left wondering the same, how did these lovely people turn on each other? sigh.
13th September 2015
Beautiful Soul

THIS IS INCREDIBLE
One day I'll take this photo...
13th September 2015
Beautiful Soul

Best trip ever!
Yes you will otra Andrea! It is in the cards. Hopefully, there will still be some left. Last count, 800, plus 5 new babies named this year.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb