Liberation Day


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
July 4th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was Liberation Day for Rwanda. It marks 16 years since the RPF ended the genocide in 1994. I arrived at the stadium at 8:30 am to observe the government ceremonies. My father was busy preparing a party for work so he sent me with his friend Jean-Paul who works with TIG coordinating community service for genocidaires, those guilty of genocide.

I was a little uneasy as soon as we got there. About 200 people walked by me with RPGs. I could tell I would be in for an extrememly militatristic day. We sat until 9:45 when things got underway. Two marching bands came in. They were followed by 2 groups with AK-47s, 2 with RPGs, 2 with RPDs, then the police with AK-47s. Last was a flag guard with AK-74u guns.

Kagame, the president, eventually came in to inspect. He walked around in front of each group while everyone cheered him on. He finished by standing on a bright red podium near the middle of the field while the band played the national anthem. Afterwards, he took his place in the stands.

Soldiers came out in different groups to perform various rehearsed martial arts scenes and routines. After the rehearsed fights many soldiers came on the field and did moves as a group. This part was pretty cool to watch.

The military units then came back in. The Minister of Foreign Affairs began giving out medals to foreigners who acted courageously during the genocide. The first was Roger Winter. In the 1960s he was a civil rights activist in the U.S. He helped publicize what was happening in Rwanda to the world. He was the first American back in Rwanda after what had happened. A Senegalese military officer accepted an award for Capt. Mbaye who served with UN forces in Rwanda. He took it upon himself to run daring rescue missions. He alone saved hundreds. He died from a mortar attack during the genocide when he was on one such mission. Capt. Mbaye was one of, if not the most, heroic members of the international community during the genocide. Many more medals were presented.

After this, Kagame made his speech. It was quite underwhelming. He was not very moving or inspirational, nor did he try to be. Some entertainment followed including traditional dances which were very interesting to watch. The people here dance with their hands stretched out to imitate the horns of cows which play an important role in their society. When a man marries, he gives an agreed upon number of cows to his future in laws. As he and his wife have children, the in-laws give one cow for each child.

Advertisement



7th July 2010

Happy 4th of July !!!
13th July 2010

be safe
I hope you and all your friends are ok after hearing of the bombing in Uganda. I guess your time in Africa is winding down and you'll be heading home soon. BE SAFE. Anne
16th July 2010

WELCOME HOME, BOB!!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb