Exciting times


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cape of Good HopeCape of Good HopeCape of Good Hope

What a fine group of travelers!
Finally, a place to blog--Swakopmund. This blog entry will have to be short, for reasons which will become clear later.

South Africa
We left Cape Town Friday morning, first heading south to see the Cape. On the way, we visited a penguin colony. Then, at the Cape, did some hiking, watched the clear line where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet, then got a group photo at the Cape of Good Hope marker.

Our group consists of 20 clients--nine guys, 11 gals, ranging in age from 18 to 57. Yup, I'm the oldest. But there are a few others in their 50's and, overall, a good blend. We all get along fantastically well, sharing this Dragoman truck that is essentially our home for 20 days.

That same day we headed north towards Namibia, stopping part way for night. Saturday we drove all day, reaching the Namibian border in the late afternoon, and setting up camp just 15 km further. THe camnpsites are really high end (so far). I share a tent with a German (there are 6 Germans, 4 Irish, 4 UK, 4 Aussies, 1 Kiwi and me.)

Namibia
Sunday morning we lazily canoed the Orange River--it
Northern South AfricaNorthern South AfricaNorthern South Africa

Desolate landscape becomes ever more barren as we approach Namibia
was a glorious morning, and thoroughly enjoyable. Then we packed up camp and headed towards Fish River Canyon, supposedly the second largest in the world (but no comparison to Grand Canyon). WE had a wine and cheese party at the rim, then dinner, then watched the sunset and moon rise, which were gorgeous. It was so peaceful--what a great way to end a Sunday. Along the way to the canyon, we ran into a herd of zebras and also one of impalas, and also saw some gemsbock from a distance.

Monday, we went back to the canyon for sunrise, had breakfast there, then back to camp to pack up and head to Keetmanshoop. THe scenery had become ever more barren since leaving Cape Town and now we were in desert. At Keetmanshoop, we set up camp at a "Quiver Tree Forest" campground, went out to enjoy the "Giant's playground, and amazing site of random rock piles, as if a giant had been playing with lego. There was also a cheetah preserve at the place, and we all got our photos taken petting the cheetahs.

Tuesday was a long driving day to Sossusvlei. This is where we go to
ChristieChristieChristie

Our home for 21 days
the world's largest sand dunes. WE spent the evening there in a pool and just lazying around, but before sunrise on Wednesday we headed for "Dune 45," the famous one that you climb for sunrise. It was a fantastic experience, although Dune 45 is only 120 m. high. Then we headed off to Sossusvlei itself, where a guide took us through the "vlei", a low area of intermitant water. He was fantastic, explaining all about the desert and about the San Bushman people, whom we'll visit later on the trip. Then he took us to "Dead Vlei," truly the crown jewel of this trip, and one of the "places to see before you die."

After taking down our camp and a quick dip in the pool because of the immense heat, we embarked for the long trip to Swakopmund, where all the activities are. We arrived late in the evening Wednesday,m and are here for 2 days. Activities include quad biking the dunes, sky diving, sand-boarding, dolphin cruise, horseback riding, a "township tour", fishing, etc. I chose quad biking yesterday aft, sandboarding this morning and the township tour this aft. The quad biking was phenomenal! But, alas, as we
Along the road to SossousvleiAlong the road to SossousvleiAlong the road to Sossousvlei

He just happened to be standing there beside the road
were almmost back, I had an incident, with the 250-kg. quad bike flipping and landing on me. I was winded, thought I had broken ribs and so went to the hospital for precautionary reasons. It turns out there is no internal damage, probably only a cramped muscle, which is incredibly painful. I have pain-killers and a muscle relaxant. It was a horrendously bad night, as the pain killers did very little, but I'm much better this morning (cancelled the sand-boarding), and it looks like I'll be able to continue on the trip.

Now. I've got to get some more rest. I'll be okay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dune 45Dune 45
Dune 45

It's a big thing to climb Dune 45 at sunrise
A sea of dunesA sea of dunes
A sea of dunes

The highest dunes in the world hare here -- up to 350 m. high
Dead VleiDead Vlei
Dead Vlei

one of the "most amazing places to see before you die"
Quad biking on the sea of sandQuad biking on the sea of sand
Quad biking on the sea of sand

That's Shane, a new friend from Melbourne, who saw my whole somersault.
ZebrasZebras
Zebras

Not at Etosha, but a surprise along the road earlier


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb