Tour de Kruger - Day 4, 55kms (+ optional 20km). Mostly dirt road with patches of sand, hilly


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique
July 29th 2006
Published: August 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Phil & Laura at the Pafuri Border PostPhil & Laura at the Pafuri Border PostPhil & Laura at the Pafuri Border Post

End of the road for Day 4.
Today we had a lie-in, up at 05:30! Sunrise over the river is stunning and spirits are running high, only 2 days to go.

We set off at a cracking pace as we have some strict deadlines to meet today, we need to get through the Pafuri border post before 16:00. The going is good and the legs feel quite strong. We get to the border at around 14:00. Laura counted 24 hills in the last 19 kms leading up to the border, some of which required walking.

Once through the border, we’re given the option to hop on a truck which will take us into the Pafuri concession for a 20km ride into camp or hop on a game vehicle and head straight for the camp. Laura chooses wisely and opts to head straight to camp, as we were bring up the rear again and she was the only person in the Landy. She found herself being treated to a personal game drive and saw a herd of buffalo, Nyala, Impala, crocodiles and guinea fowl.

Phil was less than wise and opted for the extra 20km ride. This took almost 1.5 hours as we had to stick
Most comfortable bed in the world!Most comfortable bed in the world!Most comfortable bed in the world!

We were treated to luxury accomodation on the last night in recognition of our fund raising efforts
together in a group and travel as close as we could behind a Landy due to the high concentrations of game. Cycling and game viewing are not good bedfellows as a fairly high degree of concentration is required to stay on the bike. Nevertheless, we did see some elephant at a distance, but we also ate a lot of dust.

As a result of our fund raising efforts we managed to raise in excess of R23500, this was R5000 more than the minimum required of us. Thank you to all of you who bought one of our calendars and helped us to raise such a great total. As we were one of the top fundraisers, we were allocated a luxury room overlooking the river with a massive double bed and awesome hot shower.

We had prize-giving in the evening and Laura won the award for perseverance, much to her embarrassment! She received a red cycling top, which is likely to stay in its bag for quite some time to come. We were treated to entertainment by the Drum Café, which was fantastic. We all had a drum and joined in the cacophony, it was quite something to witness
Drum Cafe put on the evening's entertainmentDrum Cafe put on the evening's entertainmentDrum Cafe put on the evening's entertainment

We were all given a drum to bang away at - great fun!
nearly 200 drums being played in almost harmony.

After Great food and a few drinks we were soon dead to the world in probably the most comfortable bed in the world - we slept like babies!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb