Hippie Trail: the Blue City of Chefchaouen


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Chefchaouen
May 6th 2013
Published: May 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We arrived here today after a gorgeous bus trip across the plains and into the Rif mountains...

A strangely wonderful moment was Macklemore playing "Can't Hold Us" on the bus radio....! (A Seattle based band...)

All along the road were carpets of wild flowers....lots of olive trees and wheat being grown in between. Much of the harvesting, including wheat, is done by hand, although we saw several small combines. Donkeys are used for plowing in most of the smaller fields, and used for transport to and from the fields.

The main crop of this area is still kif, and while it is illegal in Morocco, obviously there are ways around the laws. This town was a backpacker hangout for years, but has now become more mainstream. It is touristy, but not overly so yet. Prices for tourist goods are lower, and there is a bit less pressure to buy than in Marrakech or Fes.

After checking ito Casa Perlita (once again, thanks Blythe!), we walked around the medina, ate an omelet, visited the Kasbah (fort) and are now relaxing....


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Riad StaffRiad Staff
Riad Staff

The very gregarious cook and waitress, and the manager Kacem, who reminded me a bit of Kramer on Seinfeld. Both were so helpful and fun to be around....
Cafe and Butcher shopCafe and Butcher shop
Cafe and Butcher shop

Our rest stop combo!
Cafe and Butcher Shop!Cafe and Butcher Shop!
Cafe and Butcher Shop!

Nothing like a cup of coffee with animal carcasses dripping on the floor behind you....!
First View of ChefchaouenFirst View of Chefchaouen
First View of Chefchaouen

The blue paint originated with the Jews who added indigo to their whitewash to distinguish their neighborhoods from the Muslim ones.
ChefchaouenChefchaouen
Chefchaouen

Chefchaouen was totally isolated from the non-Muslim world until 1920! When the Spanish first broke into the town in the 1920s, they were amazed to find Jews speaking a Castilian that had disappeared from spain 600 years before!
ChefchaouenChefchaouen
Chefchaouen

Kasbah (1471) and main mosque (1560)
Chefchaouen Main PlazaChefchaouen Main Plaza
Chefchaouen Main Plaza

We ate lunch here, in the bright plastic chairs.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb