The bus, the beach, and the camels


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me and MoushkaMe and MoushkaMe and Moushka

I don't know if that's how the camel's name is really spelled, but that's how it sounds :) The town in the background is apparently where Jimi Hendrix lived at some point.
We met up with a private bus at our hotel at 12:30 and took it out to Essaouira, a coastal town that had a gorgeous beach. While conservative dress is worn off the beach, bikinis are acceptable for while you're on the beach. However, we still saw plenty of women in full Muslim dress including the headscarf. When you leave the beach you're supposed to cover back up or risk dirty looks, comments, hissing, and possibly even pinching. We hung out on the beach for a few hours and found a group of camels further down. The highlight of the day was definitely the hour ride that we took on the beach and through the sand dunes on the camels! We each got our own camel and had such a good time. My camel's name was Moushka (I have no idea if that's spelled correctly) and we got along famously during our hour trip.

We ate dinner in Essaouira but the tagine wasn't nearly as good here as it was at Uncle Bob's Pizzaria. The medina in Essaouira was walled, which kept out most of the wind off the ocean. I tend to think of the medina as a
Our groupOur groupOur group

From left to right (not including the camels or the guides) is Joy, Egan, Adam, Erin, Matt, Mandi, and Anna.
mix between Fez and Marrakech...more traditional and not touristy but still offering shops and restaurants. After eating we headed to the bus station, where we had paid to store our bags for the day and caught the midnight bus (an 8 hour ride) north to Rabat, Morocco's capital. When we booked our plane tickets we weren't able to get a flight out of Morocco so we booked one out of Jerez, Spain so we needed to make it pretty far north in a fairly short amount of time. The bus we rode was uncomfortable and didn't have a bathroom, which was unfortunate since a few of us had come down with Montezuma's Revenge. By the time we got to Rabat the morning of the 27th we were tired and more than a little crabby. We immediately hopped on another bus to Tanger (AKA Tangiers) the northern port town in Morocco where we could catch the boat over to Spain. By the time we got to Tanger we were so happy to be off the bus!

Note: Once you get out of the hotels modern toilets are difficult to find. You will generally have to pay a dirham or so
Hanging on the beachHanging on the beachHanging on the beach

Me and Moushka
to use the toilet and it consists of a stall with a hole in the floor and no toilet paper. Luckily, I read that there was rarely toilet paper and packed a roll. That roll of Charmin became our best friend during the trip! Also, in case you're wondering what the exchange rate was during our trip it was 8 dirhams to 1 US dollar.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sunset BeachSunset Beach
Sunset Beach

Matt on his camel
Happy to be in Tanger!Happy to be in Tanger!
Happy to be in Tanger!

Here we are, with all our loot, happy to be in Tanger (Tangiers).
WaitingWaiting
Waiting

Waiting for the ferry in Tanger


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb