)By the Sea...The Atlantic


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Essaouira
February 27th 2018
Published: February 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

From The desert to the mountains...this time it was the High Atlas . We stayed the first night in another UNESCO site . Ait.Benhaddou...a kasbah that has been lived in since the 1600's . Several hundreds of people would have lived there and farmed the flat lands that surround it . Because it is still in such good condition it has been used in many films over the last 30 years . Atlas Film Studios are located in the nearby town . "GLADIATOR" "BABEL" and "GAME of THRONES " have all bèen filmed there.

The next day we ciontinued into the mountains .We actually drove through a pass that was 2300m and really cold and windy . Not all that different from home.We were headed toward a mountain village that would have involved an up hill walk of about an hour .However the cold and wind of the pass had created a major rainstorm and the Moroccan Government had cancelled all such treks because the winds and rain made it unsafe to trek on the mountain paths. Many in the group were disappointed but I had picked up a cold bug with all the changing temperatures and was kind of relieved .

So we came straight here to Essouria a lovely sea side village that had been occupied by the Portuguese for 3-4 centuries . It has a walled area , the medina , as do most cities in Morocco . Our hotel is just inside the Medina 5 minutes from the harbour which is a very busy place. Yesterday at lunch we went to the food stalls and had an incredible feed of fish . Langostine,sardines calamari ,dorado, swordfish, mullet,...a cafeteria tray full , grilled and served with bread , water , grilled vegetables for a total of 100 dirhan @$10.50 alltogether...for the 2 of us. The only thing missing was a glass of wine.

It is funny about the wine . In the north it was just not Avila of but as we headed south to the desert area Yacin took us to a supermarket which had a wine store in the basement and we all bought some for our dessert trek.We were able to buy some more a few days later and had it in Todra Gorge. Last night we went out to supper at an upscale restaurant and were able to purchase wine with our meal . I have enjoyed those opportunities but I think I miss having a beer with .lunch . Suzanne and I seemed to do that a lot. .

Enough for now . We head to Marrakech tomorrow for the last few days of our tour . We have seen so much and I have been awed at how beautiful this country is .

Hope all is well with you and yours . Keep in touch .

Advertisement



1st March 2018

ENJOY
AMAZING HOW TIME FLYS
2nd March 2018

So much seen
You certainly have seen a variety of landscapes. I would definitely have enjoyed that fish platter. Enjoy your last few tour days. Weather certainly variable here.
2nd March 2018

Wonders of the world
Oh Pam, such vivid descriptions of your magical adventures. I am imagining you girls getting into the Zen of the camel trek, trying to find the rhythm of the swaying to and fro. Here March has come in like a lamb, but high winds and snow expected tonight and tomorrow (not a blizzard, 'cause it shouldn't be too cold!). This morning the soft baby pinks and blues in the sky highlighted the full moon in the west, so beautiful in the land of living skies. Ron and I are battling a cold/flu virus too; germs are the same the world over.
3rd March 2018

Nice
Nice having your tale of your trip. Where are the pictures, can you use Facebook.

Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb