On the road again


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane
November 15th 2012
Published: November 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

MoroccoMoroccoMorocco

Roman ruins
A wonderful train ride from Casablance to Fes gave us great glimpses behind the scenes, snatches of Moroccan rural life and breathtaking panoramic views. Here time seems to stand still and the old world of the Bible, Koran and Torah comes to life.

Casablanca.... a typical port town as the world over, sordid and grim (but the best tagine ever)! Compliments to the king Mohammed 5 with his vision for the Moroccan people.... A gigantic mosque (Hassan 2) second only in size to the mosque in Mecca, rises from the rubble of poverty and grime a symbol of the hope and direction in which he aspires to lead his people.

Fes.... The religious and traditional seat of all things Moroccan. The medina here a wonder of 9000 alleys, a labyrinth where one wrong turn equals 3 hours of being lost. Here artisans abound behind every grimy doorway and spil out into the narrow alleys: bakers, weavers, master carpenters, dyers of fabric, butchers, stalls selling dried fruit, spices, live chickens and everything in between.

I swoon from sensory overload and love it!

In the new Morocco women can now divorce their husbands, girls go to school and new
Our guideOur guideOur guide

Our knowledgeable guide with Corinthian flower
polytechnic institutes are being opened. One can see and feel the foward thrust of a nation yet steeped in religion, tradition and an unshakable belief in the evil eye!

Here the streets are filled with pro Obama/American supporters. Everywhere we get the thumbs up, for once brown skin is a definite plus. My ears are filled with the sound of ....shucran (thank you) my sister.

This is a people who while clutching their beliefs and traditions with one hand reach out with the other to the rest of the world .... This is a nation that does not want to be left behind in a changing world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Borj NordBorj Nord
Borj Nord

Tomb of the Merinides
CasablancaCasablanca
Casablanca

The best tagine in Casablanca!
Ancient doorAncient door
Ancient door

Hand of Fatima on door


15th November 2012

Wish I was There...
I can envision all you speak of. I miss it a lot. Second to Corcovado, the Hassan II mosque is amongst my favorite sites on earth. Wait until you get to the desert....amazing..
23rd November 2012

It's all amasing
So sensation packed. I see why you love Morocco so much!
20th November 2012

Beautiful FP!!! photos and texts - keep going!!
23rd November 2012

Thanks!
Really loving the experience. Thanks for being you. It's easy to take good photos here
26th November 2012

Camels
Hi Patty, Good stories, great pics. Takes me right back to Morocco with Nancy and Steve. Did I ever tell you about the camel ride? You must try it, and eat some bread and cheese for me .... olives and lemons, tagines and filo pastry... the colours of everything.... aaaah!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb