DAY 3


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
November 6th 2010
Published: November 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 Casablanca-Rabat-Meknes-Fez
Early morning start had a continental breakfast at the hotel, great orange juice!! We left our hotel Prince de Paris at 745 am and headed towards the city of Rabat. We stopped and toured a few sites in Rabat and drove through the medina. A local city guide rode along with us for the morning to inform us all of what we were seeing. One of the most impressive stops was at the Tour Hassan and Mausoleum of Mohammed V; it’s a historical landmark that was never finished due to his death. They allow us to view his tomb, it's also a mosque were locals come to pray. It's guarded by guards on horses at each entrance and in each corner of the Mausoleum.
We stopped at a local restaurant for lunch; we sat with Karen and Bernard. Daniel and I both had the vegetable soup and chicken tagines. The chicken tagines were wonderful. It came to our table in the tagine...hot and steaming full of flavours from the chicken covered with onions, black olives and lemons. Sooo yummy!! Now this is it...why we've come this far.
After lunch we drove onwards to the city of Meknes, were we picked up another local guide to show us around. Founded more the 1000 years ago, the walls of this town to protect the city were built by slaves. The slaves worked a meal 18 hour days, to feed and water the 12,000 horses. The ruler of this city was a man of some 500 wives with over 800 children....wow!! As we drove we saw fields of cork trees, many locals went there to the shade for picnic lunches. We visited our first mosque in Meknes, the attention to detail that goes into religious buildings is amazing.
Our final destination was in Fes. We had a wonderful meal with some ladies we've met with our tour at the Hotel Menzeh Zalagh, then went for an evening walk to see some of the beautiful fountains and lights of the city. A very fully packed day, the weather was perfect and we're ready to call it a night and can't wait for our morning tour of the old Medina of Fez.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

LUNCH!!LUNCH!!
LUNCH!!

Chicken Tagine


Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb