Weekend Trip, Meknes, Fez, Moyen-Atlas


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
June 1st 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This weekend we traveled to the center of Morocco for a weekend full of activity.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Race track in MeknesRace track in Meknes
Race track in Meknes

Considering I have not seen much alcohol consumption, Moroccans must get there kicks somehow. Maybe it's down at the track.
MeknesMeknes
Meknes

Meknes is the old city we visited first on Friday. This is inside the old city walls looking out on a cluster of buildings. It was pretty hot day in the country's interior.
Ticket CounterTicket Counter
Ticket Counter

This is a good example of the intricate metal work traditional to both Moroccan and Arabic design. In America this would probably be a bland sheet of plastic but Moroccan's seem to add a such of arabesque flair to everything, even ticket windows.
VolubilisVolubilis
Volubilis

Volubilis is the sight of Roman ruins a few miles outside of Meknes. Behind the ruins, you can see a tiny ville nestled in the cradle of the mountains.
VolubilisVolubilis
Volubilis

It was amazing to look at this landscape and think that is has lasted since around 300 AD. That puts "old" into perspective.
Roman MosaicRoman Mosaic
Roman Mosaic

A Roman Mosaic depicting the god of the hunt. We had a nice guide who explained things like this for us.
A Roman ClockA Roman Clock
A Roman Clock

Probably not the first guess when one sees this stone carved in the shape of a seashell. This was actually a pretty advanced sundial. The dog was one of many stray animals roaming anywhere you find people.
Volubinis, UNESCO World Heritage SightVolubinis, UNESCO World Heritage Sight
Volubinis, UNESCO World Heritage Sight

Volubinis is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, an honor that the Lawn and Monticello also share. Considering grandeur of 17,000 year old stone still fighting gravity, I would say that makes it the title a pretty big honor.
Roman BrothelRoman Brothel
Roman Brothel

I just loaded a bunch of these so I am afraid my replacement descriptions wont be as long and funny. As far as this one goes, I would be confused to Chidi.
Fez SkylineFez Skyline
Fez Skyline

It wouldn't be Morocco without Mosques
MosqueMosque
Mosque

Actually inside a mosque for once, this won't happen much.
FezFez
Fez

All the streets were very narrow and there were thousands of them. This is the closest I will come to a labyrinth without David Bowie playing Jareth the Goblin King.
This was cute.This was cute.
This was cute.

Our guide, Moroccan children speaking in different languages, and Mme Bargach.
Sowing ShopSowing Shop
Sowing Shop

Inside a shop where artisans sow scarves like these.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb