Fes - Royal Palace, Medina


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
April 21st 2009
Published: May 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We started with a visit of the exteriors of yet another Royal Palace, this time in Fes. The guards are dressed in different uniforms and were friendly enough for me to get a picture with them. Then we went to a lookout point with panoramic view of the city of Fes before going to the medina to experience getting lost. One of the highlights here is the medieval tanneries. I knew we were getting close because the smell was really pungent. The best way to see the tannery is from one of many terraces overlooking the dying vats. At the entrance to stores with the terraces, we were handed fresh mint to cover the overpowering smell. Only natural dyes are used: tumeric for yellow, saffron for orange, poppies for red, mint for green and indigo for blue. Without a guide or a reliable map it’s very easy to get lost here. I wonder why no one has come up with a business venture providing tourists with GPS of the medina.

No cars are allowed in the medina and the primary mode of transportation is still by donkeys. You will hear “Balak balak” as they come down the narrow alleyways. Other sights we visited here include Nejjarine Fountain and Bou Inania Medersa. We were lucky to catch a glimpse of the inside of the Kairaouine Mosque when the doors opened at prayer time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

-NejjarineFontaine-NejjarineFontaine
-NejjarineFontaine

Najjarine Fountain


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb