One Suite, Two Suite, Red Suite, Blue Suite


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
June 15th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had the alarm set for the crack of dawn to allow for enough time to pack, eat breakfast and catch an 8:15 a.m., 4-hour train to Fez. Paying the inflated price of $5 USD per first class ticket, we were relieved to find that our train car was only half full. Able to relax on the train for the first time, I used the next hours to catch up on note taking and story writing.

I knew the day was a good one when our train pulled into the station and there was a driver from our hotel awaiting our arrival, with an air-conditioned minivan. Unable to drive into the Medina where our room was located, we were conveniently greeted by a woman from the riad who accompanied us to the gigantic courtyard home.

Having had to change our accommodations at the last minute due to Gene’s friend’s change in plan to meet us, we were provided the option of the Red Suite or the Blue Suite upon our arrival. Not too hasty to make our decision, we asked to view the rooms first and settled on the Red Room. While the room stood in all its grandeur, I somehow over sighted the fact that there wasn’t a separate bathroom. Rather, the toilet was located at the farthest end of the room behind a couple of plants. Lovely.

Shortly after our arrival, we received a personal welcome from the owner of the Riad, Fred, and his two Labradors, Bill and Tom. While Gene conversed with Fred, I of course befriended my two new furry friends whom I would consistently ask for throughout the remainder of our stay. Fred was more than helpful, offering recommendations for lunch and arranging a guided tour for the following day.

Per Fred’s suggestion, we taxied over to New Fez for a bite to eat and then headed back to the riad for a little rest and relaxation. Having thoroughly enjoyed our home cooked meals at the riad in Marrakech, we opted to stay at the hotel for dinner. Less than satisfied with the pricey meal, I made friends with the green bean-eating cat.

We retired to our room for a good night’s rest in preparation for our full-day guided tour the following morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



17th August 2007

Getting outta Dodge
This picture looks like it was taken in front of the Metra train yard. hmmm... Awfully suspicious.
18th August 2007

Thanks for the Comment!
It looks like you are one of our only friends these days ;) Gene and I sign onto this site every day, waiting like two little children for a comment. They make our day :)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb