Leptis Magna


Advertisement
Libya's flag
Africa » Libya
September 22nd 2006
Published: November 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Leptis MagnaLeptis MagnaLeptis Magna

Amazingly intact Theatre overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
Today we ventured to see the famous Leptis Magna, we would have to say one of the best (if not 'THE' best) roman ruins we have seen in all our travels. Only 30% of the ruins have been excavated, with the other 70% remaining under thick vegetation, which is quite incredible. On first sight of Leptis Magna it is huge, yet to imagine that what you see is only part of the massive city right on the mediterranean is just facinating.

Most of the excavation was done by Italian soldiers during their occupation and the Libyan government is now undergoing attempts to uncover and remove some of the vegetation by 2008. The cost to excavate is massive, so how long this will take and whether there is funding set aside for this will be a 'wait and see', however I am sure with tourism opening up more that one day this will become just as popular as those in Europe.

Leptis is believed to date back to 7th Century BC, and was a trading port for Phonecian and Punic settlers from Carthage (Tunisia), then along came the roman settlers and it became one of the lading ports in Africa.
Leptis MagnaLeptis MagnaLeptis Magna

Arch of Septimus Serverus
You enter Leptis Magna and notice the entrance leading down to the site is lined with Ecalyptus trees which we were told Italians brought with them from Australia. The magnificent Arch of Septimus Severus stands in front of the cobbled streets which leads in four directions. Unusual for its time as most Arches had only 2 columns, this one had 4 and had a raised platform above the streets.

All up this is an incredible place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb