most northern point


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province
July 8th 2007
Published: July 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

05.07.07

I finally worked out how to retrieve my own telephone number. When it comes to cell phones I am hopeless. So here it is: +254 -721811312 . The campsite Fish eagle Inn is quite nicely situated directly at the lake. Again we are impressed how green and lush the environment is. The campsite is a well maintained lawn directly bordering the lake. At night we hear the hypos grunting and during the day a flock of Marabou birds are wandering around the camp almost as close as you could touch them. In long serious steps they march up and down the lawn and now and then take off with a loud flapping sound. Verves monkeys play in the trees and curiously examine our landi. They are not as aggressively pinching ones food as the baboons do, but gently hanging from the roof top trying to reach something eatable and running, jumping skipping away when shushed away. After dinner and sitting for only an hour at our campfire it started drizzling and we had our first night in the rain sleeping in the car.

06.07.07

The rain during the night had been quite strong but had stopped in the early hours of the morning.
We tried to surround the lake but gave up since one does not really get close. Lionel (Ines’ Kenyan boyfriend) called and we arranged to meet him on Saturday. We are looking forward seeing a familiar face again. During our entire trip we have seen only a handful of convoy cars from South Africa and only two other individual cars like ours. We had expected to see many more and could from time to time team up with others for added support or backup. We did however see a few local cars travelling on their own to the game parks and some overlander trucks with Kenyan number plates. Tonight we stay at Thompson’s Falls Lodge almost 2500 meter above sea level in the highest town of Kenya called Nyahuru. We have crossed the equator a few Kilometers before and it made us realize how far away we are from home. Up here it is rainy season and since arrival it has been raining continuously, so we decided to book into the lodge instead of camping in the rain, which is not exactly fun.

07.07.07

We met Lionel and his mother Rosalie Faull and are most impressed with their home and hospitality on the farm. The view is spectacular with mount Kenya right in front. This huge ranch has a rhino sanctuary, which we will visit tomorrow. But besides an occasional lion roar from a distance we saw giraffe and buffalo on the farm as well as camels, which are bred here. The road up to the farm is quite adventurous, as Lionel casually mentioned a gun battle at the northern end of the farm just a day before. Occasional robberies on the road at gunpoint are the local news that no one seems to be much disturbed by. Wrong time and the wrong place is the kind of statement we get. The place breathes such peace and calmness that one cannot imagining anything bad happening. It is true, everyone knows everyone in Kenya, by mentioning Tim’s and Caroline’s name, Rosalie knew immediately the entire family and has personally met more than one generation as well has pictures hanging on the wall made by one of the daughters. I have to hurry now as Lionel is taking me to the Ranch office to upload this blog. We are now at the most northern point of our travel 60 Km north of Rumuruti in the ranching country.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th July 2007

Beats the National Geographic Channel!!
Dear Rolf and vanessa, Thanks for the latest blogs.Tried to phone but the "subscriber wassa nota valeable"Sounds as though u are still having a great time despite the odd shower.What an experience for u both.Missing your company but I am sure that wecan have some interesting evenings hearing all about it WHEN u return.All well at this end.Oude Wellington is still in one piece with no problems.After some nice sunshine we are back to the rain but a good excuse to sit in front of the fire and watch the tennis. Take care of each other. LOL, Roger and Pauline
8th July 2007

Red Rhino!!!
What with Red Elephants now u guys are seeing Red Rhinos!!! I think you have been drinkin tooo much of the stuff u make on your Est???? What next "Blue Flamingos"...... I have never crossed the Equator over land only on the sea and in the air is there a "red" line marked on the ground? Keep safe and enjoy the trip back. Cheers Tony.
9th July 2007

You're in the best part of Kenya
Well done both of you, you're doing so well. It is a small world and I recognised Rosalie's face in the photo immediately. Hope you go through Nanyuki and don't forget Mummy is expecting you if you want and you must stop at Barneys restaurant at the Nanyuki airfield to see Karina and have something to eat there - they will be thrilled to see you. How much longer before you leave Kenya? Safe travelling and they're right keep your eyes open. Have fun and take good care.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb