June 6 in Mbale


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nyanza Province » Kisumu
June 6th 2008
Published: June 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mosquitos and Matatus!
The Mbale Hotel is the only hotel in the small town of Mbale, Kenya. We are here because it is the closest affordable hotel to the Children's Home. For $10 per night, per couple, you get a room with two beds, mosquito nets, cupboard for clothes, and a bathroom with shower and toilet. At present there is water in the evenings after 7 pm and also inthe morning, so you can shower. Hot water is working. The noise fromthe bar down below - loud Afro Pop played until midnight, and people talking loudly on the street, cars rushing over potholes, and buses coming into the bus station next door are the sounds we hear.
Across the street, five ducks scavenge in puddles, it's the rainy season.
Mosquitos are out in force right now. At night we close the windows tightly and use the bed nets. Once or twice we need the mosquito spray. Take your malaria prvention pill daily!
Larry and I have had adventures inthe matatus! (these are 14 passanger vans that run from village to city, etc.). The drivers are in a competition to see how many people they canstuff ina van (try 18), and how fast they can get to town, so they drive at crazy speeds. When we ride in a crazy matatu, I note it's name or descprition in my book, so we won't take that one again.
Big news here about Obama winning the primary. Thenewspapers are full of speculation about him as President and stories of his extended family in Siaya province. The number of his relatives is multiplying rapidly.
We plan to visit Kakamega Forest, the last rain forest in these parts, very soon. There are numerous species of birds and we will see them onour hike with a guide.
Larry loves Kenyan food: ugali, chicken, beef or fish! OUr hotel serves only 3 dishes: chicken, beef or fish witheither ugali or rice. The fish was good. We are losing weight, my pants are loose!
Kenya is so beautiful and at times heartbreaking too. The people have been so hospitable and kind to us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb