Three Weeks at Vihiga Children's Home


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
June 20th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The rainy season is ending and hopefully the malaria season too. We are leaving for the coast - Mombasa and Malindi - on the 23rd of June and will return here on July 13. You can still communicate with us because there is e-mail in Malindi!
Larry has had quite an adjustment to the life here. He loves walking long distances but gets a bit upset about the problems with sanitation and lack of water for showering, etc.
We have now interviewed all the sponsored kids staying at the orphanage. Yesterday we took a group for eye exams about an hour from the school, and one boy was prescribed glasses. We learned that the philosophy here is that kids don't need glasses - just eye drops! in most cases. Even if very near sighted. WE don't know why, maybe someone reading this can explain that to us.
Mrs. Agesa is tired from all the coming and going, the work on the dormitory proceeds,with painting the ground floor, installing more grills at doors and windows and repairing the beds that are to go there.
We made a side trip to Kakamega National Wildlife Reserve. This fab ulous 240 sq. kilom. place is a must see if you are in this part of Kenya and are interested in ecology. With Jeffrey Agesa and two boys: Francis Akatsa and Edward Thiongo, we spent 4 hours exploring with a guide. You could get lost in there without a guide and according to our guide, one American was lost there 3 days! We saw colubus monkeys, butterflies, and rare trees like teak and a poison tree. There is a cannibal ficus tree too, all are huge. We climbed to the top of the highest hill that overlooks the forest and Rift Valley. What a treasure this forest is, the plants there have medicinal properties, such as one that is now used in the treatment of prostate cancer.
We know now what to eat and what not to eat...we have been well and feel fine. Mrs. Agesa's sister is a good cook. The hotel food, well, it's repetitious. We've discovered a few local specialties that aren't bad. The Tusker beer is exquisite!
Some of the kids at the orphanage have malaria now, one is very weak. He is receiving treatment and the nurse does a good job.
To all our family: don't worry, we are fine and strong, and losing some weight.

Advertisement



25th June 2008

Hi Kathi, Wow, i'm loving your comments about Vihiga... i wish i was there with you! It sounds like your having a fantastic time with the children. Do you know if they recieved mine and emily's letters? I'm so pleased to hear that the dormitory's are so close to being finished. I hope the children with malaria are not too ill. How is Mrs Agesa?? say hello from me and emily. I hope you are both well and i am looking forward to hearing more soon Cara x

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb