Happy Madaraka Day


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nyanza Province » Kisumu
June 1st 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone, Larry & I arrived safely yesterday and our baggage made it all the way to Kisumu. No flights were delayed. We were so glad to check in to the peaceful Nyanza Club and rest in their 1960s style bedrooms overlooking Lake Victoria. They have spacious rooms with hot water, fans, bed nets. The swimming pool is great and the food is better than at Mbale Hotel! Kisumu underwent some property loss in the riots. Today we walked down the main street and I saw four or five large businesses burnt to the ground, including the best internet cafe.
In any case, here are some items of interest to TJ travellers: Kenya Airlines says you can bring 2 suitcases of 30 kilos each if you are travelling from abroad. However, our own Delta airlines inCinci restrictited us to 50 pounds apiece. larry and I travelled light so no problems there.
I made you reservations at Nyanza Club for July 16 and you will pay about 67$ per night for a two person room. Breakfast is included.
You can change some money at the airport in Nairobi and the rate yesterday was $1 for 58 shillings which isn't good but I needed cash. They refused to accept any American money printed before 2000 and none that was torn or marked. Tomorrow we will meet Mrs. Agesa and go to Mbale Hotel.
Larry is coping with culture shock....lots of people selling stuff and trying to panhandle, high unemployment and poverty etc. but he enjoys it so far. We are doing lots of walking.
Love to all our family and friends, we will write more later. Kathi & Larry

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb