What’s your favorite place in the world? It’s here…


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
April 12th 2014
Published: April 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A day for doing nothing…except of a bit shopping and writing of course 😊 And that’s the good thing about having time when traveling, you don’t need to hurry, you just live in the day and let our plans rest for a while. Since I was sitting on a bus or safari truck for a while in the last past week, I decided to move a bit and took a walk to one of the malls around here. It’s bizarre, how you see small wooden huts along the main road, and then suddenly there’s a huge modern shopping mall, where all of the fancy people meet and shop, guarded by employees who most probably live in those small huts and will never be shopping in the place themselves. But I needed a bit pampering, so I decided to dive in to the modern world for a bit, just a bit…a for a nice vanilla latte…mmmm…

At my lunch back in my hostel (which is actually a small paradise, a camp with tents and a huge tropical garden) I listened to a conversation between a fellow traveler and the owner’s son. The little guy asked her, what’s her favorite place in the world, and she had to think for a while, most probably because she’s seen so many places that her mind is full of impressions and memories…and then she asked him the same thing, and without thinking he answered: “It’s here, where I live”.

Simple as that. Isn’t that amazing? He’s around 6 years old, has a younger brother, and all they do the whole day is exploring their own garden with all the plants, animals and play hide and seek, while one is a lion and the other one a gazelle. Maybe they don’t know yet what else there is in the world, and maybe they will be bitten by the travel bug some day (since their parents are quite adventurous, they moved to Nairobi from Australia), but for now, this is his paradise on earth.

And I hope he will feel the same even after he starts exploring the world, because I think they have the most amazing childhood ever here and I have to say that they are different than most of the children I know. They meet so many different people here, from all over the world, from all those different cultures. They don’t have a smart phone ,or an iPad, or anything like that, but their favorite app is the nature and exploring around their own paradise.

Incredible.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb