Safari time


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
April 1st 2014
Published: April 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to my penultimate blog entry. Home time in a month.

A blog about Africa would not be complete without safari photos. You will be pleased to know that I have been very selective and have not uploaded them all! My week off was great. We visited Nakuru national park, Maasai Mara, lake Naivasha and then went to Diani beach for some scuba diving and relaxation. Out of the big five, we saw lion, buffalo, rhino and elephant. Unfortunately we didn’t see a leopard but we saw leopard paw prints and kill in a tree so I am giving ourselves 4.25 out of 5! It was interesting to learn how the safari drivers communicate with each other about animals. Giraffes are referred to as “long necks,” lions as “big hair,” cheetah as “spotted animal on the ground,” leopard as “spotted animal in the tree,” hyena as “dirty spotted animal” and elephant as “big ears.”

Work is interesting as ever. Since my last blog I have evacuated patients from/taken patients to Mozambique, DRC, The Congo, Somaliland, Cairo, Somalia and around Kenya. Cases have included gun shot wounds, malaria, surgical and medical illnesses. Read the photo captions to find out about the tale of the Congalese avocado... The long hours are taking its toll though and I am exhausted. Intensive Care back in London in May will be restful in comparison!

Mum and Dad are coming to visit on Friday. Looking forward to it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Flamingo, Nakuru National ParkFlamingo, Nakuru National Park
Flamingo, Nakuru National Park

Due to an increase in rainfall, Nakuru national park is slowly disappearing under water. The usually saline lake is becoming diluted with rain and thereby decreasing brine shrimp and algae, which when eaten by flamingoes give them their pink colour. The flamingoes that we saw were practically white.
Buffalo, Maasai MaraBuffalo, Maasai Mara
Buffalo, Maasai Mara

Did anyone spot the car?
Rough and tumbleRough and tumble
Rough and tumble

2 elephants trying to barge each other out of the way.
Courting lionsCourting lions
Courting lions

The male lion pursued the female lion who kept slowing down, waiting for the male to catch up and then walking away again. sounds familiar?


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb