Hakuna Matata! (No problem)!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
January 3rd 2014
Published: January 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Baby elephantBaby elephantBaby elephant

Baby with his keeper
So seven time zones, 36 hours and no luggage later I arrive in the dead of night at the 'guest house' and I use this term very loosely indeed. Here to await the truck that will jolt me north to Uganda then swing south in search of Zambia...through the Masai Mara down to Tanzania by boat to Zanzibar island across Malawi...the stuff of dreams...

The 'guest house' is rudimentary at best with towels 'upon request' at the 'reception,' disgusting ex pat food (see chicken and leek pie) but large brand new mosquito nets, a garden rife with every variety of warbling bird and two gigantic weathered super friendly 'guard dogs'.

In short a little slice of heaven if you could add some better food and you're easy to please…especially when your tent awaits!

Between futile phone calls in search of my luggage I make short excursions to places of interest nearby...this morning the baby elephant sanctuary, this afternoon to the flip flop factory where discarded flip flops are 're-purposed into what I can't imagine!

Huh! Turns out the recycle factory was fascinating, everything from turkey quill jewelry to animals carved from colorful blocks of recycled flip flops!
Recycled flip flip elephantRecycled flip flip elephantRecycled flip flip elephant

Recycled flip flop elephant


As fate would have it, as hot and dusty we track back from the recycle factory, the phone rings... It's a miracle! My bag has been found!

Now a cold brew (Tusker…even the name excites me!) and a riot of birdsong as the sun sets on a perfect first day in Kenya.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Recycled productsRecycled products
Recycled products

Colorful and creative


4th January 2014

Enjoyed the blog entry. Hope you will have a great time on this trip of a lifetime. I love the itinerary this is a fabulous trip of some of the most interesting parts of East Africa. So happy you found your luggage that would not have been a great way to start your trip. Enjoy it and make sure you take tons of pics. Love the baby elephants.
4th January 2014

Hakuna Matata
Thanks Gail! I'm thoroughly enjoying everything and haven't even set foot on the truck yet. Will take tons of photos and guess what it's mango season! Does it get much better!!!
4th January 2014

What a start for you******
Love your pics so far and the editorials you have written...You are AFAR material and your blog picture is so beautiful......
4th January 2014

What a start for you******
Love your pics so far and the editorials you have written...You are AFAR material and your blog picture is so beautiful......
7th January 2014

go patty, go!
Cool. Mark's big dream is to travel through South Africa. He loves the big open spaces and I love the markets, too! ..... awaiting your next post ..... Love, V.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb