Anne: Baby elephants and meat buffet


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
December 14th 2012
Published: December 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was a fun day. We left at 9am to go visit the baby elephants at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. They rescue baby elephants from the wild and care for them until they are released back into the wild. Most of their moms have been killed by poachers. Booo.

I got to touch one of the elephants. It was unexpectedly hairy. We visited during feeding time, so they all drank from bottles, just like human babies! One of the youngest elephants was also playing with a ball. Adorable!

That place also rescues baby rhinos, but we couldn't visit those because it's too dangerous. We did see one in his "room" though. He was an adult rhino, but he's blind so he can't be released back into the wild. Rhinos are ginormous.

To reach the shelter, we had to go through the National Park and we got to see some other fun animals. We were even able to cuddle up to a gazelle (at least we think it was an gazelle).

After an hour with the elephants, we went to eat at Carnivore, a popular meat buffet known across the world. They used to cook game meat, but it's been banned since 2004. We did eat some interesting stuff though: beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, ostrich, crocodile, goat liver, sausages, ribs and even ox balls. Tyson seemed to particularly like those. It was super fun!

After getting back to the hotel, we headed out to the market. Holy geez I was unprepared for the high pressure sales approach. There were 5 guys in a stall staring at you while you negotiated with one of them. I could only handle two stalls and then ran away. I just wanted to browse! At least now I will be better prepared for next time.

Tomorrow we leave Kenya and make our way to Tanzania on the bus. We should be in Moshi (city at the base of Kilimanjaro) by 3:30pm. A new adventure begins there :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



15th December 2012

dinde
Je serai bien contente de manger de la dinde à Noel. Est-ce que ce sont des boules de boeuf ou des boulettes de boeuf..?

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb