Getting ready to overland


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
August 1st 2012
Published: September 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

(Massively sorry for lack of travel blogs, we had difficulty getting internet in Africa. All photos will be uploaded shortly on facebook but will start getting these blogs uploaded now we are in Asia)

We got a taxi from the Sarova Stanley in the afternoon towards the Acacia Camp where we would be staying tonight before we depart on the overland safari to the Masai Mara tomorrow. This Masai Mara trip is a three day trip and was an optional excursion which could be added on to our three week overland trip.

One thing to note if you ever come to Nairobi, the taxi drivers will always try to charge you more than they should. (I know I had previously said that I was in the wrong…but this time is different). We were quoted 1200KSH in the hotel but when we got in the car the driver tried to say that he had got confused about where we were going. He wanted to charge us 2000KSH – an additional £6.50 or so. We refused and threatened to leave at which point he negotiated to 1500KSH, again we said no, at this point he just started driving and at the end accepted the 1200ksh.

We got to our camp, Acacia Camp, we have a double ensuite room which is great. We went to the pre-departure meeting and met our tour guide, Moses. We also met the people we will be travelling with, there are 11 of us in total. British, New Zealanders, Canadian and Australian. Moses told us a bit of Nairobi’s history and also about the Masai Mara and what we can expect to see. Chris and I are both really excited about seeing the animals and especially the Great Migration which takes place around this time. We are to get up for breakfast at 7.30am, be in the truck by 8.30am. From there we will head towards the Rift Valley and onwards to the Masai Mara. Can’t wait. Will keep you all informed.

Cat & Chris xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb