Joining the Migration...


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
March 13th 2011
Published: March 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We spent the weekend in Nairobi with the Wildebeest Camp as our home base. We were surprised by the colonial main house and the green gardens. The guests here are from all parts of the globe and swap stories while enjoying ice cold Tusker Beer. Each morning they serve a made-to-order breakfast with tea. We have met a host of characters each with an interesting back story and purpose in Kenya. Nairobi similar in many ways to the big cities around the world, but is still so different. We spent Saturday walking to the Nairobi Arboretum, which is a sprawling park densely lined with native trees. In the park, people gathered to play soccer, sing, relax, and pray. After leaving the park, we decided that a visit to the city center was a must. Surprisingly, the foot and vehicle traffic thinned noticeably as we proceeded into the center. At the center, we took an elevator to the top of the Kenyatta International Conference Center, which is the second tallest building in Kenya. Standing on the helicopter pad with only a three foot fence to keep us from jumping 30 stories to the streets of Nairobi, we could see all of Nairobi. It was a long trek back to Wildebeest from the center. After freshening up, we headed back out into the city with some Aussies we had met to check out a bar nearby. Sierra brews their own beers from blonde to porter with much success. After enjoying all of the hustle and bustle in Nairobi, we spent most of Sunday packing and preparing for our volunteer experience in Masailand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb